Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2002 9:21:24 AM EDT
Received my CMP garand two weeks ago and was very impressed with it's condition. It's a Springfield with a 3-45 barrel that's in excellant condition. When I put a no-go gauge in the chamber the bolt closed easily. Doesn't the CMP check Headspace on these guns or are they only concerned with throat erosion? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
They claim to inspect all the guns to "service grade" specs.  I really don't know if this means using a "no-go" gauge (which would be for new or freshly rebuilt rifles) or a "field" gauge, which is a little looser (bigger).

Here's a link for their inspection process: www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/inspect.htm  They just say they're checking for headspace, not which gauge they're using.  You could email them & ask.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have worked at the cmp as a volunteer. part of my duties included grading rifles . yes indeed the headspace is checked.....I wonder how this one got out?......they do a very thorough service grade inspection.,,,call em if u have a problem,,,,they will satisfy u!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
By all  means call if you have any questions. When I called about a problem, the woman who initially talked to  me had that Southern belle accent that was pretty cool to listen to.
Anyway, just remember the thing about gauges is that something that was made to check a bolt action rifle is going to be a lot looser on a military rifle because army guns have a bigger chamber.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine has a CMP Garand on the way and wondering where to pick up a no-go gauge and the instructions for use.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you strip the bolt and remove the op rod and spring before checking the headspace? If not, you may have forced the bolt closed against the gauge.  If you checked properly, notify the CMP and they will help you out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I checked it with a stripped bolt and the op rod without the spring. I also checked 2 other garands I own (one springfield and one winny) the same way and the bolts closed on both of them also. I wonder if it isnt like the guy said about military chambers being larger. I emailed the cmp and asked them about this but so far I've received no response from them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You know - it sounds like you just got a bad M1.

I'll take it off your hands for free!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top