Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2008 6:30:26 PM EDT
I can't seem to find a straight answer for this question so I thought I'd try here.  I have a original model Interarms import AUG with a 20" barrel and would like to have a 16" too.  Do any of the clone barrels fit the AUG?  It seems that TPD sells them as parts but doesn't specify whether it will work with an AUG.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I can't seem to find a straight answer for this question so I thought I'd try here.  I have a original model Interarms import AUG with a 20" barrel and would like to have a 16" too.  Do any of the clone barrels fit the AUG?  It seems that TPD sells them as parts but doesn't specify whether it will work with an AUG.

I've read that they do, but one is cautioned to check headspace.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Kent's rifle uses standard spec AUG parts so it should work just fine, I'd call him and verify before ordering though, he's a good guy and will be straight with you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#3]
MSAR barrels work in AUGs, just make sure you check the head space first.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't try it I've heard of failures when they are used with the AUG.

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
MSAR barrels will not work in an original Steyr AUG.  TPD has a warning on their wbste cautioning that the barrel is one of the fw items they were not able to make interchangeable, or more precisly as I recall due to a loose spec on the Steyr AGUs over the course of production TPD could not guarantee it would headspace properly.

I would call Kent at TPD to verify.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Pete Athens used to bring in and sell AUG parts now that he has seperated from MSAR is he selling Steyr parts again?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
MSAR barrels will not work in an original Steyr AUG.  TPD has a warning on their wbste cautioning that the barrel is one of the fw items they were not able to make interchangeable, or more precisly as I recall due to a loose spec on the Steyr AGUs over the course of production TPD could not guarantee it would headspace properly.

TPD barrels will work in a functioning AUG.  You just need to check the head space as you would any gun with a new barrel.  It is just that AUG/AXR barrels are so easily removed and replaced that they are prone to more wear by their nature.

I use our barrels in my AUG's frequently for testing.  

Kent
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TPD barrels will work in a functioning AUG.  You just need to check the head space as you would any gun with a new barrel.  It is just that AUG/AXR barrels are so easily removed and replaced that they are prone to more wear by their nature.

I use our barrels in my AUG's frequently for testing.  

Kent

Thank you for clarifying Kent, my bad.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Kent for the info.  I do have headspace gauges and would check it before firing.

Now whats the chance TPD will offer the 14.5" barrel ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Thanks Kent for the info.  I do have headspace gauges and would check it before firing.

Now whats the chance TPD will offer the 14.5" barrel hecking
Ive plug and played TPD barrels into AUGs with NO problems, but would love to understand about headspace.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty sure the procedure is the same as for an AR15. Get the gauges, plug them in, and make sure the correct one allows the bolt to close. It's a 5.56mm so it should be an identical procedure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pete Athens used to bring in and sell AUG parts now that he has seperated from MSAR is he selling Steyr parts again?

Yes he is back in the AUG parts business and I believe he has some 16 inch barrels. There were also a few recently for sale on Sturmgewehr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top