Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 7:17:33 AM EDT
I picked up my new T/C Omega this week.
I'm hoping to shoot it this weekend, so I now realize I should have asked this question earlier.
I've never fired a ML before, so bear with me.
All the things I've read say to just use soap and water to clean up Triple 7. Is that true?
I got a DVD with it, and they showed nothing about 777, but to use a cleaning solution with Pyrodex pellets.
How do you guys do it?

Also, do I need to lube my barrel after cleaning? I plan on using the new Hornady SST sabots.
How many shots do you take in between swabbing the barrel?
Thanks for your help.
Curt
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#1]
When using 777 you just use water on patches on a jag, dry it out with dry patches and place a very light coat of oil on the metal surfaces.  Its really that easy.  Don't forget to put a dab of grease on the breach plug threads when you screw it back in so it doesn't sieze up.

If you go with Pyrodex or real Black Powder you will need to take the gun apart and use lots of hot saopy water and clear water to rinse.

The more rounds you shoot the more crusty propellant builds up.  For good accuracy and reliability the projectile needs to be seated consistantly and there will be a magical number of shots you can take with what ever recipie of powder and projectile (patched ball, mini ball, sabot or power belt) when there is just too much crusty residue and you have to start forcing things.  You want to clean or swab before that.  To really get dialed in you should take a cold shot out of a clean barrel to verify your zero before you clean it and load it for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
use a 50% windex 50% water solution and it cleans like a dream.

i use it for pioneer pellets and 777.

no lube if your using sabots..
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
50% windex and water?  have to try that.  going to bust out the ML for the first time in 3 years, just haven't had time to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]

linky

No magic juice.  Ballistol works.  I have used it for years on BP.  No chemical mixing.  I use 50% mix with water to clean and 100% to lube/protect/season.  No oven involved, no rust.  This cleans up BP quicker than most regular cleaners clean smokeless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top