Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 12:37:03 PM EDT
I'm curious how you clean your old bolt guns.  I have a Enfield SMLE and I'm wondering what parts need oil and all that kind of good stuff.  Do you clean them just like modern bolt guns? Or are there special considerations given the age and make of the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not use any sandpaper anywhere.  I would start with disassembly and a good coating of sythetic motor oil.  Allow it to sit a week and then clean off.  Smelly is the finest of all the old MBRs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Every C&R weapon I buy gets completely disassembled, especially the bolt. Gunk builds up inside the bolt and can cause the firing pin to stick.
THIS is the best site to learn how to take any C&R rifle apart, and put it back together. They have a LOT of other articles.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just talking about routine cleaning.  The gun has already been thoroughly cleaned after it was initially bought.  Surely you don't totally disassemble the rifle after every outing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I clean my Milsurp rifle just like I would a modern rifle, use good bore cleaner and good gun oil. If I shoot corrosive ammunition I clean using WW2 GI bore cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm just talking about routine cleaning.  The gun has already been thoroughly cleaned after it was initially bought.  Surely you don't totally disassemble the rifle after every outing.

Of course I don't. I misunderstood your question. My answer was intended for a newly purchased milsurp rifle.
Yes, just clean it as you would a modern rifle. If it is a semi-auto, like an M1, you would use grease on the parts that need it, otherwise just lightly oil the parts.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I don't. I misunderstood your question. My answer was intended for a newly purchased milsurp rifle.
Yes, just clean it as you would a modern rifle. If it is a semi-auto, like an M1, you would use grease on the parts that need it, otherwise just lightly oil the parts.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Jim

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Thanks for you help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top