Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2011 12:26:24 AM EDT
Cleaning baffles with a Thumler's Rotary High Speed Tumbler.

I fired 200 rounds of CCI Green Tag ammunition out of my pistol equipped with an AAC Element silencer. This ammo was purchased in bulk years ago. It’s subsonic and like all CCI ammo, it burns clean.

I pushed out the baffles which needed thumb pressure to remove. 200 rounds would be a good round count  to test if the rotary tumbler using stainless media could clean the baffles. Here are the baffles.

They are dirty enough to use a bronze brush or Scotch Brite, but I didn’t want to spend several hours of tedious hand work, cleaning the baffles the old way. To be clear, I cleaned the silencer tube and end caps the old way with solvent. I didn’t want to damage the exterior finish. These parts are not that hard to clean anyway.

To prep the baffles, I lightly brushed  the baffles with a dry nylon brush to knock off the loose debris. Then I turned to the aid of the tumbler.

I purchased the tumbler and kit thru this company.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I added 2 tablespoons of dawn dishwater detergent and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-shine detergent into the drum. Then I placed the baffles and media into the drum. I filled the drum ¾ “ to the top with cold tap water.

I ran the tumbler for 4 hours. There was no damage to the baffles caused by tumbling. They were about 95% clean. A few baffles were 100% clean. The baffles looked new looking. Simply stunning! Of the baffles not perfectly clean, I spent a few minutes picking the few spots remaining with a tiny screwdriver. The lead didn’t stick and mostly flicked right off.

So, next time either run the tumbler another hour or so, or shoot it a little less. Either way I found an easy way to clean up my silencer baffles.

One note on the tumbler. I added a piece of wood about ½ inch thick to support the rear of the motor. Without the wood support the motor was bouncing some and it was vibrating. After the support was added, as the machine was running cleaning up the baffles, it was very quiet. An added bonus is a quiet machine!

I also pulled out the rubber liner and wiped it dry underneth. I have read stories of rust under the liner. So the simple 30 seconds of extra work will protect the machine from internal rusting. I air dried the stainless media after I rinsed it well with cold water. Ready for the next time!

No more brushing with solvent soaked fingers. I’m very pleased. This tumbling method is a good alternative to the dip.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW!
I wonder how well it would do with monocore type baffles
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]
200 rounds wasn't a great test.  Plus it took 4 hours to clean.  

Shoot a box of walmart bulk 22 and then clean.  Lets see the results for that.

On a side note. You do have an Element.  It is Dip safe.  You should try using 50% vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide in you tumbler and see how long it takes to clean..
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:34:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I clean my brass using this method.  I have also cleaned my bolt and carrier using the stainless method.  I know of a stainless Sparrow that has about 1500 rounds through it, most of it in FA and there is lead built up onto clamshells.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

On a side note. You do have an Element.  It is Dip safe.  You should try using 50% vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide in you tumbler and see how long it takes to clean..

I have used the dip and it's quite toxic.  I can run the tumbler inside the house.  This is an alternative to it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

bad info right there. not all elements are dip safe. they did come out with a revised element that is suppose to be dip safe. but the orginal element was suppose to be dip safe also. it was said many times by aac guys that it would be a good idea to only dip the baffles. i also dont think i would recommend using the dip in anything where i would have alot of cleanup like this tumbler.
if you like to go the dip route it should probably only be used in a jar so that it stays in one place and can be disposed of properly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

bad info right there. not all elements are dip safe. they did come out with a revised element that is suppose to be dip safe. but the orginal element was suppose to be dip safe also. it was said many times by aac guys that it would be a good idea to only dip the baffles. i also dont think i would recommend using the dip in anything where i would have alot of cleanup like this tumbler.
if you like to go the dip route it should probably only be used in a jar so that it stays in one place and can be disposed of properly.

All the baffles are dip safe.  I don't think the OP was tumbling his outer tube.  If he was, then my mistake for not clarifying what parts could be be dipped.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the baffles are dip safe.  I don't think the OP was tumbling his outer tube.  If he was, then my mistake for not clarifying what parts could be be dipped.

no biggie. just clearing up the fact the the tube and ends on all elements are not dip safe just the baffles are. your post makes it seems that the whole suppressor is safe for the dip.he does say in his op that he wasnt tumbling the ends or the tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top