Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 7:41:07 PM EDT
Probably a stupid question but here goes.

As a can/baffles accumulates carbon thru use will its db level increase?

ETA:  Well...thought is was.  Does no one know?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A dirty suppressor is often quieter than a clean one. That's why a lot of people will just knock the chunks out of a rimfire can instead of trying to make the baffles look new again.

At some point, suppression would start to suffer due to a loss of interior volume...but that may take awhile.

For example, I'd guess this can isn't as quiet as it used to be. Pic was taken after a local suppressor shoot this weekend...lots of FA 22. (Not going to embed the pic because the original is huge)
View Quote

Gotta be signed in
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A dirty suppressor is often quieter than a clean one. That's why a lot of people will just knock the chunks out of a rimfire can instead of trying to make the baffles look new again.

At some point, suppression would start to suffer due to a loss of interior volume...but that may take awhile.

For example, I'd guess this can isn't as quiet as it used to be. Pic was taken after a local suppressor shoot this weekend...lots of FA 22. (Not going to embed the pic because the original is huge)
View Quote

Yea...I kind of figured there must be some type of performance curve.  Possibly as the interior spaces change in size and shape due to the build up, the can no longer performs as it should.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I saved it and uploaded it somewhere else. Here you go.

http://s4.postimg.org/b40o2wo2l/image.jpg
View Quote

Dayum!  Lots of vinegar and peroxide please...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My form 1 .22 freeze plug build got noticeably quieter as it got dirty. I don't scrub it clean as others have said, just get the big stuff out. I would assume the crud helps absorb sound compared to reflective bare metal and maybe add a tiny amount of turbulence.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My form 1 .22 freeze plug build got noticeably quieter as it got dirty. I don't scrub it clean as others have said, just get the big stuff out. I would assume the crud helps absorb sound compared to reflective bare metal and maybe add a tiny amount of turbulence.
View Quote

My guess is that a thin layer of build up gives more surface area for absorbing the new unburned particulate in subsequent shots.  Sort of like activated charcoal filters for drinking water.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My guess is that a thin layer of build up gives more surface area for absorbing the new unburned particulate in subsequent shots.  Sort of like activated charcoal filters for drinking water.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Exactly, same principle as commercial building/church/event center noise dampening ceiling tiles and stuff

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Probably a stupid question but here goes.

As a can/baffles accumulates carbon thru use will its db level increase?

ETA:  Well...thought is was.  Does no one know?
View Quote
At some point yes but I picked up a Griffin Armament Revolution 45 last week and was downright disappointed with the sound until I put a few mags through it.  Once the baffles had some carbon on them it quieted down and I am now very happy with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top