Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 5:36:41 PM EDT
Applied the first coat of Tung Oil.

Man, it looks gooooood....

Heated it up and wiped the excess grease and cosmoline off.
Sprayed it down with Gunscrubber.
Heated up the wood alone and let the cosmoline come to the surface.

Sprayed it down with Gunscrubber and wiped it off.

Took it out shooting for a function test, got it hot enough for the cosmoline to bubble to the surface.

Heated up the wood again, sprayed it down with Gunscrubber and wiped it off.
Heated up the wood, a lot less cosmoline came to the surface, sprayed it down with Gunscrubber and wiped it off.

Wiped the wood down with denatured alcohol a bunch of times.

Put a light coat of Tung Oil on the stock and I am going to let it sit overnight and soak in.

How many coats of Tung Oil should I apply?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No more than 3 or it will be shiney ( bling bling). To use tung oil the right way is to slop it on,wait one minute and then wipe off all excess. Wait a day and then do it again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Linseed oil and beeswax is a tried and true method.  Lot of depth and not too glossy (if we stop using it that bling word it will go away)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Linseed oil and beeswax is a tried and true method.  Lot of depth and not too glossy (if we stop using it that bling word it will go away)

Amen !
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
After two coats of Tung oil.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Preach it Brother!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
It feels good after oiling.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the best way to heat the wood up, without burning it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I suppose you could use a heat gun.
I have used a hair dryer...While my wife was at work of course....
Or just shoot it a lot.
Some people put them in garbage bags in the sun for a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a bowl of water, a washcloth and a steam iron. The steam brings up the dents and the grease at the same time. Just keep clear of any markings you want to save.

KA3B, That's a nice looking hunk of wood.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Ooh... tiger striping on the rear handguard looks really nice.

I prefer the BLO/wax treatment. I like handrubbing my wood.

If you do a lot of milsurp, you might want to make a cosmo oven.
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It feels good after oiling.

TMI .......................................    couldn't resist
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the results of BLO and Beeswax, which reminds me I have to get some more beeswax
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ooh... tiger striping on the rear handguard looks really nice.

I prefer the BLO/wax treatment. I like handrubbing my wood.

If you do a lot of milsurp, you might want to make a cosmo oven.
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp

Nice setup!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't like BLO - I did 4 sets of oak cabinets and it took 6 months for them to dry out.
They look good now though

I bought some beeswax and I have applied it to both of my "tomato stakes" (Da-Bunny's term for wooden stocked rifles).
Man, they look nice all shiny!!
Pics to follow!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in Houston it only takes  5-7 days for BLO to dry, even in the humid summer months. I like to use it on almost all of my milsurps. My favorite Garand, a rack grade Greek that I had rebarreled in .308 and reparked, has 34 handrubbed coats(and counting).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here in Houston it only takes  5-7 days for BLO to dry, even in the humid summer months. I like to use it on almost all of my milsurps. My favorite Garand, a rack grade Greek that I had rebarreled in .308 and reparked, has 34 handrubbed coats(and counting).

Alright KA, I don't mean to highjack your thread, but I have to ask about tung oil vs BLO on a Garand stock.  I've never used either type of oil, but I bought some Formby's tung oil (cans of low and high gloss) and some Ace brand BLO (didn't see a name brand).  Drying time aside, are there any other pros & cons which make you prefer one over the other?  Thanks in advance, I've got my Greek field grade stock stripped down and ready to go, just wanted some other opinions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Your in the Army now...................
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright KA, I don't mean to highjack your thread, but I have to ask about tung oil vs BLO on a Garand stock.  I've never used either type of oil, but I bought some Formby's tung oil (cans of low and high gloss) and some Ace brand BLO (didn't see a name brand).  Drying time aside, are there any other pros & cons which make you prefer one over the other?  Thanks in advance, I've got my Greek field grade stock stripped down and ready to go, just wanted some other opinions.

Read my post above.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Formby's is not a true tung oil, it is a blend. Pure tung oil can be hard to find at your local hardware store sometimes. Having said that, you can use the Formby's low gloss with good results if you apply one coat, wipe off the excess and let it dry. Lightly scuff the finish with 0000 wool to get the shine off, and repeat coat until you get the desired result.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Good lookin' rifles there KA3B [ !
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top