Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:27:53 AM EDT
I think I know the answer to this but will ask anyway.  I'm considering the purchase of a dedicated .22lr upper and see that Spike's offers their's with "Full Auto".   I've always been under the impression that full auto demands a Class III (I think that's what it is) license.   Is this true for .22lr as well?   I was also under the understanding that this is a federal thing and doesn't vary by state but I may be wrong on all of this....   Just curious more than anything.   I'm in NM if that makes a difference.
Cheers,
cc

ps.  I just realized I mentioned "Class III".   I'm not a dealer so I don't think this is accurate.   The best I can tell is a private party can own a full auto but has to pay a $200 fee to the ATF and pass background checks, fingerprints, and get a LEO to sign the form.    Correct?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't that just mean the kit has an anti-bounce kit in it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't get it unless you have an M16 then.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m pretty sure the gun has to be made and registered prior to 1986, the new full autos that spike offers are good for other class 3 dealers not for civilians but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The upper is designed to run on a registered full-auto lower. Just like with an AR-15 , the upper is not regulated.

There is no licence to own NFA you just need an approved form 4 and pay your $200 for the tax stamp that goes on the form 4 . No new full-autos can be registered transfer on a form 4 since 1986 so the price is high as there is a fixed supply.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]

1) there is no such thing as a "class 3 license" required for an individual to own title II equipment.

2) the upper reciever for an AR15 is not a firearm of any sort, it is just another part. the firearm is the serialized part.

3) the only way the "auto" upper would do anything different for you is if you already owned an M16 or a conversion device, all of which would have had to be made and registered in the NFARTR *prior* to may of 1986. on an AR15 lower, and "auto" upper won't do anything different then a semi-auto upper.

4) a machine gun is a machine gun, regardless of caliber. if you could just get around the NFA by using .22, everyone would own .22 machine guns.

ETA: beaten by 47 seconds.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok.   So if I wanted a full auto .22lr I'd have to buy the upper from Spike's and then purchase a full auto lower at some astronomical price.   Either way, there's paperwork and costs to do this.   Ok, with that in mind, I'll just stay satisfied with SA on this .22lr.   That also opens up some other companies to look at that are not necessarily "full auto" capable.
Thanks for the quick responses folks.
Cheers,
cc
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok.   So if I wanted a full auto .22lr I'd have to buy the upper from Spike's and then purchase a full auto lower at some astronomical price.   Either way, there's paperwork and costs to do this.   Ok, with that in mind, I'll just stay satisfied with SA on this .22lr.   That also opens up some other companies to look at that are not necessarily "full auto" capable.
Thanks for the quick responses folks.
Cheers,
cc
You have it pretty well stated there.  While the paperwork and additional cost (above the "astronomical" price of the lower) is relatively minor, it's still something to look at.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Want firepower for a 22 cal.

Check this out  .22 Minigun
3000+ rounds per minute
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Minigun in .22 would really be great.  Too bad it is Post Ban.  I wonder if it has reliability problems due to being rimfire?  

Carlos
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doesn't that just mean the kit has an anti-bounce kit in it?

It would also require some sort of sear trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top