Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 2:44:05 PM EDT
Ive searched and searched and I know I will be flamed and such but is there any possibility of a civilian XM8? Will there ever be a time that another company can make one?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No

There not even any Militry chance of a XM8

it is completly dead, HK doesn't even own the design anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
thats a shame. Who does? The military? I would assume some small company might make a copy-cat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
ah well. I never knew much about it besides it good looks. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if they did, they wouldn't sell it to you...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
HK has decided that you only rate a pistol, if in the case that you need one, HK has a number of pistols availbe to you starting out around 700 dollars, please send a thank you to HK for their support

i find it funy that HK wont even sell us an Upper.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Even if they did, they wouldn't sell it to you...

Id hope not. It would be too much fun
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
(the HK G36), which itself has recently been discontinued due to poor sales and ongoing durability problems.

-Troy

I'm curious, where did you learn this information?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(the HK G36), which itself has recently been discontinued due to poor sales and ongoing durability problems.

-Troy

I sold my cracked SL8 and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the G36 also has it's share of major problems...

It is true that the G36 has been discontinued...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ive searched and searched and I know I will be flamed and such but is there any possibility of a civilian XM8? Will there ever be a time that another company can make one?

Yes, it's called the SL8.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

Well, among other things, the G36C on display at HK's SHOT booth had a note that it is discontinued for importation.

I appreciated that they put the G36C and the XM8 side by side in the glass case.  You can very easily see that the XM8 is the G36C with a body kit.

I still don't understand why they wasted all the development money and didn't just try to sell the Army the G36.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it's called the SL8.

well I wish they would make it look more like the XM8 and doesnt the SL8 only take 10rd mags?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is my SL8 conversion to G36k and it takes regular 30 round G36 magazines.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Never an XM8.
The thing wasnt a horrible design but the plastic mag had some issues and there is issues getting AR mags to work with it. Was a good idea and it passed all the tests but apparently the army desided they needed more shared parts.

As far as the SL8, I really like that stock, where can I find one?

The sl8 cracks were normally in the stock or an impropper conversion.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here is my SL8 conversion to G36k and it takes regular 30 round G36 magazines.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/sysgln/G36/P1010010.jpg

Mind PMing me that photo [doesn't show up now] and some info about that rifle? I'm really interested in this...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

It's plastic.
Guns get hot.
Heat and lots of plastic = poor design.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Thermoplastics are generally quite tolerant to heating. If plastic is so bad, why would the M16 family have it's barrel wrapped in it? Or, why would so many fine people and experienced shooters protect their nice, heat conducting RIS/RAS systems with plastic panels.

Furthermore, I've learned that the G36 has in fact not been canceled. This rumor most likely comes from the fact that no G36s are being imported this year, most likely becuase HK is pushing the 416 so hard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Plastic + Heat + LOW BIDDER = very bad idea!  Just ask the Ausies about there domestically produced AUG's .  The funny thing is that it ended up costing them MORE per rifle then getting them from Styer, and the whole time the FAL's kept getting thrown in to the ovens!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thermoplastics are generally quite tolerant to heating. If plastic is so bad, why would the M16 family have it's barrel wrapped in it? Or, why would so many fine people and experienced shooters protect their nice, heat conducting RIS/RAS systems with plastic panels.

Furthermore, I've learned that the G36 has in fact not been canceled. This rumor most likely comes from the fact that no G36s are being imported this year, most likely becuase HK is pushing the 416 so hard.

There's a big difference between having plastic furniture and having a plastic receiver...

An AR-15 can still function with a melted/cracked handguard/RIS rail cover...

A G36 can't function safely with a cracked/melted receiver...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Or it could've been the sign next to the G36c that I saw in the HK SHOT booth that said "G36c - Discontinued from importation"
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Most of the problems with the Cs were not centered around the plastic but the gas piston. On that note, if you fire 3 beta mags through it full auto you might have a small problem. I have seen m16s barrels turn blue with as little as 5 mags through them on burst in not so fast of a sequence. You will probably burn the barrel out on the K-length G36 before you melt the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Or it could've been the sign next to the G36c that I saw in the HK SHOT booth that said "G36c - Discontinued from importation"

Discontinued from importation is not discontinued.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]
HK supposedly still owns a part of the XM8 design, but it seems General Dynamics has picked up most of the work. I think it's an ugly piece of shit, but the XM8 is not dead. General Dynamics is supposedly making some changes, and when a new rifle solicitation comes around, the XM8 will probably be there. The chances of it being recognizable from it's past form are slim.

The G36 does have a heat problem. The barrel is attached by trunions which happen to not like heat. Both select fire and suppressed weapons have troubles, but unsuppressed semi autos probably only need to worry about the common receiver crackings.

The G36 is only discontinued in America. Meaning no more G36's will be imported. HK will still have to provide replacement parts for ten years and the G36 will continue being produced in Germany.

The XM8 did not perform well. A demo was held where many of the XM8's failed to function properly, and this could have been the last straw for the whole program. Funding was cut, but it's still debated if it was from the physical failure of the program, or the wrongful absence of a fair solicitation.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discontinued from importation is not discontinued.

Of course not.  But it's not a good sign either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]
G36 has been disconinued from importation, not production.  HK is going to push the HK 416 only in North America while everywhere else the G36 is the player.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top