Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 1:28:53 PM EDT
Please indulge my ramblings for just a minute so that yall can see my "whys" and "whats" for my little project.

I have a Remington 1100 that I have two barrels for (a 30 inch full and a 26 inch imp cyl).  Currently I plan on converting this gun into more of a "home defence" type gun...well that and I love to tinker with stuff.  Right now I pretty much leave the 26 inch barrel on all the time to bust clay birds and the 30 hasn't been on in probably two decades or better.  So I order up the parts I'm going to be using for the build...SpeedFeed 3 stock, 2 shot mag and new front and rear fiber-optic type sights for the ribbed barrel, and I am ready to get things put together.  Now for the question at hand.  I plan on cutting the 30 inch down to 18 inches and I would like to leave that guy on for most of the time.  So if I want to go shoot some clays with the 18 incher, would I need to put a choke in the tube or would it be fine as is?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how you define shooting "some clays". I assume you mean for backyard type recreation, etc. You will have a cylinder bore after you have the barrel cut. That will be fine for recreational skeet or the backyard thrower. You wont be able to shoot a long game like trap, FITASC or sporting clays with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
yea, just some good ole backyard fun shooting.  nothing serious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be fine for a bit of fun on close range clays. That's about it.

A screw in choke is often overlooked on Tac/HD SGs. I think it is a great addition. It allows you to tighten you tighen your pattern to suit your needs.

I have a 1100 with a 30" Full bbl cut to 18". It is threaded for Remchokes. I use a Compensated Mod choke (unsure of the brand). It patterns a lot tighter than a Cyl bbl. It's fine for clays but I usually switch it with a 30" full bbl.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
F421,
Are you sure your cut-off is Rem-choked or is it threaded for Colonial Chokes, etc.?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 870 threaded for Colonial/Tru-choke/Baikal.

My 1100 is definitely different. The thread is a lot finer on the truchoke.

It could possibly be Winchoke.

Tooling is only commonly available in tru choke, rem choke, or winchoke so must be either rem or win.

Pic-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top