Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 11:00:30 PM EDT
Got a new Choate MP5K folding stock and it doesn't appear to fully seat when it's open. It's pretty wobbly. Probably less than a 1/8" of engagement, seems like it should fully seat.

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks normal to me. It should not be wobbly. It will seat deeper as it wears more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks normal. I've also experienced the wobble with the Choate. The HKs apparently don't wobble according to some people but I didn't want to spend $300 to find out if that's true. All this steered me towards B&T, which fits snug and secure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine seated about that far when new but didn't wobble.  Try greasing the surfaces a little.  I did this and it seemed to help it lock up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Common. I have two Choate stocks and both were like that when new.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
That's normal. I think I filed mine a little so it would sit deeper. I think I may have filed on the hinge a bit also.
As long as it does not open up by accident it should be fine. I am just picky.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd use a stone instead of a file if you choose to modify the interface surface.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem with mine and the wobble was annoying. Called Choate and they fixed it for me for free.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had the same problem with mine and the wobble was annoying. Called Choate and they fixed it for me for free.
View Quote
May I ask what they did? Did you send the stock back to Choate?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I send the stock the Choate. I think they put the stock in a vice and tightened it. Locks up solid like a fixed stock now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#10]
My stock wobbled so I much that I sent it back too. Choate repaired the stock. It still wobbled. I was told the stock wobble was normal. I disagreed. So, I sold it for $30 to someone who didn't mind a wobbly shoulder stock. Stock wobble was acceptable back in 1990. Today, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
That engagement depth is common but it should ABSOLUTELY NOT WOBBLE.

If it does, CALL THEM. They will replace it.

https://www.riflestock.com/contact_choate.html
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone else ever noticed that the Choate stock(I have one, live about 15 miles from their factory) has the pin "bosses" made into the folding mechanism while the HK authorized/marked stocks have an HK buttcap with the folding mechanism attached to it? Make sure that the wobble is in the locking mechanism. It might be where it attaches to the receiver instead.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, Choate only delivers the folding stock and hinge to HK, then HK uses their own base plate and buffer assembly on it. That's why the buffers are different.

I have a Choate unit, and the wobble in mine exists where the unit is pinned into the receiver. That's usually where the Choate examples are loose. I don't have any wobble in my hinge.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, Choate only delivers the folding stock and hinge to HK, then HK uses their own base plate and buffer assembly on it. That's why the buffers are different.

I have a Choate unit, and the wobble in mine exists where the unit is pinned into the receiver. That's usually where the Choate examples are loose. I don't have any wobble in my hinge.
View Quote
Same here, the slight bit of wobble in mine is between the stock and receiver.  The hinge/lockup on mine is solid also.

ARKAR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top