Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 6:19:47 PM EDT
Found a T53 at the local gun shop.  It kinda looks like the ones I saw guys talking about in another thread.......the rough ones from SOG.  Anyways, if a guy was looking at one of those, how do you tell if it's gonna be a decent shooter.  I remember one guy joking about his shooting patterns, not groups lol.  I want one that'll shoot a group!  

Also, is there any 7.62x54r to be found anywhere?  If I buy this, I want to be able to find some ammo to shoot!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Its out there.  I picked up a spam can of surplus from Palmetto State Armory on Easter weekend, $99 I think, which is a tad high, but was ok with it at the time
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
T53s tend to be pretty good as long as the bore isn't horribly pitted, but as with any mosin you won't know for sure until you test it. Ammo is still out there but like every other caliber the shortage finally caught up with it, so it is not nearly as plentiful as it use to be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The ammo is available, although not iat the price it once was. The bore you most likely won't be able to tell until you clean the cosmoline out, try to find one with matching bolt if you can.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I played with it for a few minutes and I think someone has already cleaned it all up.  The bolt is crazy smooth and takes no effort to manipulate at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC the bores on these are generally very good due in large part to being chrome lined, the rest of the gun, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IIRC the bores on these are generally very good due in large part to being chrome lined, the rest of the gun, not so much.

Chrome lined? go on
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Just ordered a T53 in fair condition since they were on sale at Century. I'm sure it will be a beater but for $102 delivered I will take the chance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'm just afraid of getting one with a bad bore and won't be a decent shooter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Chinese Type 53's have a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered one from Buds for $120 free shipping. Friend has the Mosin, but I just like the carbine better. Just wanted something cheap that goes boom and is fun to spend a few hours at the range with. If it looks like crap I really don't care. actually the worse it looks the better. lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My T53 does not have a Chrome barrel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I got three a month or so ago from Century for $80 eacuh +$12 shipping.

Bores were all good. Bolts were quite smooth but did not match. The rest of the rifle.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top