Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 9:00:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Get with Warbird from www.M-14forum.com.  He's done a bunch of these.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Smith Enterprise does the best work.
In my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Smith Enterprises and Fulton price their work like they are the only game in town. They used to be. Warbird and Clayton Smith at West Texas Ordnance are your best value and both do great work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Smith Enterprises and Fulton price their work like they are the only game in town. They used to be. Warbird and Clayton Smith at West Texas Ordnance are your best value and both do great work.

a hell yeah to that, and a big plus one for clayton at WTO
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Guys,

I have a couple of 1994 or 1995 Polytech M-14's
I would perfer not to have to change the original barrels if possible.

Double edge sword unless you have a shit pile of bolts to check before you start lapping in a USGI bolt in.  The trick is to find a bolt that will correctly head space after the lugs have been lapped into the receiver.  Nothing like trying to firgure out how short the head space is on a bolt, then adding the gap between the short lug, and then doing the calc's to find just the right one to be correct after lapping.

Depending on how well the barrels shoot now, my attack plan would be to buy two bolts, lap them in myself, then send the receivers off to CC to have Douglas med  barrels installed ($260 each). My guess is that you will be charged over $100 for just the lapping each bolt, and if you did this your self, you could used the save money on the barrels. Also, Depending on how well the smith lucks out finding a short head spacing bolt, his only option may be to lap the bolt in, then set the barrel back one turn and re-ream (if the barrels are not chrome lined) to get the correct head space- Add more money).

Now if the plan is to just swap bolts until you get one that head spaces correctly (not hand lapped to true lockup), then you may be able to hit one of the gun shows with stripped actions, and a head space gauge and luck out, or just need to send the stripped receiver off for the smith to try.

It's the lapping part to true the action that makes the process a bitch using the old barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Champion's Choice won't work on Chinese rifles, unless they've changed their policy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Smith Enterprise is building a batch of M14 Crazy Horse rifles for the U. S. Marine Corps so they are a little busy at present.  I highly recommend Tim Strait aka warbird.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Google:  "Tim Strait" warbird
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#11]
users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM

P.S. I just sent him a HRA Garand to re-parkerizer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top