Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2011 7:52:11 PM EDT
I'm interested in taking some tactical carbine classes and was wondering what the benefits would be of going with a chest rig compared to a plate carrier. All I really need is a MOLLE system that'll allow me to carry the mags/pouches needed for class. Can you wear a chest rig over a plate carrier or is that just ridiculous? Thanks.

-Links
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You can definitely wear a chest rig over a plate hanger.  Figure out what your needs are and fir your gear to them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple.  

A chest rig is designed to carry the kit, like ammo, med kits and tools.  The mission specific gear you need carried in a location that's easy to access under stress.

A plate carrier is designed to carry armor.  Some are "armor carriers" capable of carrying soft armor AND hard plates, some just carry the hard plates.

Plate carriers can be had in low profile "slick" styles with no ability to attach pouches to MOLLE/PALS points, or in full MOLLE/PALS compatible styles so you can attach your pouches directly to the carriers.  Depending on your mission or job, you may indeed find a need to wear a chest rig (rack) over a plate carrier, such as times when you need full protection without a complete load out.  Carriers with full MOLLE/PALS are more money, but offer more versatility.  Rack over it, or attach your load directly, depending on your mission.

If you never need armor, just get a chest rig.  Do NOT buy a plate carrier, then load out without plates.  People will look at you funny, and it just won't function well.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Simple.  

A chest rig is designed to carry the kit, like ammo, med kits and tools.  The mission specific gear you need carried in a location that's easy to access under stress.

A plate carrier is designed to carry armor.  Some are "armor carriers" capable of carrying soft armor AND hard plates, some just carry the hard plates.

Plate carriers can be had in low profile "slick" styles with no ability to attach pouches to MOLLE/PALS points, or in full MOLLE/PALS compatible styles so you can attach your pouches directly to the carriers.  Depending on your mission or job, you may indeed find a need to wear a chest rig (rack) over a plate carrier, such as times when you need full protection without a complete load out.  Carriers with full MOLLE/PALS are more money, but offer more versatility.  Rack over it, or attach your load directly, depending on your mission.

If you never need armor, just get a chest rig.  Do NOT buy a plate carrier, then load out without plates.  People will look at you funny, and it just won't function well.

+1.  Also remember that a plate carrier is going to be a shitload heavier and will build up body heat faster than a mesh vest or chest rig.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would you need a plate carrier for a carbine class? Just get the chest rig, put what you need on it, and be done with it. Make the gear fit the mission, not the mission fit the gear.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The reason I'm considering the plate carrier over the chest rig is for future versatility. Gear for the carbine classes is short term, so either the plate carrier or chest rig would work. If in the future I decide to purchase armor, having the plate carrier, and experience using it, would be beneficial I think. Since they're both about the same cost, if I can find a suitable molle plate carrier I think I'll go that route since it give me a little more versatility. I definitely see the difference the chest rig would make in hot weather, those things look much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a woosatch made by HSGI. It can be converted to a chest rig if no plates are in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8lphqh7eE0
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Pyro man that is amazing. I'm sold. I'll be looking into more for sure.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Train as you will fight and you will fight as you have trained.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Yoda.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes your friends say simple things and it turns your outlook around. If the day comes that I buy rifle plates I'm not going to want to put them in an inexpensive carrier. And that's all I can afford for now. So I'll go with a chest rig (botach has some good ones in my price range) and will put off the carrier for now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Train as you will fight and you will fight as you have trained.

EXACTLY !!!!!!! When that day comes you will be more prepared .A lot of TAC. classes says if an't raining we an't training
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out the plate carriers from Mayflower and Velocity Systems.  They have the QuickClip system on them that allows you to attach a chest rig to the plate carrier in seconds using fastex buckles.  you can change your chest rig out with different configurations very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I got a woosatch made by HSGI. It can be converted to a chest rig if no plates are in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8lphqh7eE0

thanks!

Link Posted: 5/30/2011 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear a chest rig over a flak/plate carrier/Vest or whatever you prefer to call it, for actual use

TT Mav over an OTV

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Nard guards always make me laugh.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nard guards always make me laugh.

Only thing they do is get in the way of me trying to take a piss
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple.  

+1.  Also remember that a plate carrier is going to be a shitload heavier and will build up body heat faster than a mesh vest or chest rig.

You'll sweat like a whore in a church in a plate carrier.  If you don't need it, skip it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why would you need a plate carrier for a carbine class? Just get the chest rig, put what you need on it, and be done with it. Make the gear fit the mission, not the mission fit the gear.

If you are taking a class that will be in a shoot house, they may require that you wear armor.  

Ditto on the poster who recommended the mayflower with the armor and chest rig that clips in.  Best of both worlds.  You can ditch the armor for standard classes and armor up for shoot houses or a lot of move/shoots if you need or they require it.

-Green.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top