Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 11:57:50 AM EDT
This really changes the traditional look of the M14. I dig it.

Edited to add: I guess every other gizmo attached to the pictured weapon helps out that unique look a bit, but still, interesting stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It is fugly
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remember that is not a drop in stock you have there - it is one where you need to send your rifle off and gets permanently modified!  They are supposed to have a dro in stock on the market soon...

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the difference between the Troy and the Sage stocks?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The Troy stock uses a modified gas system.  They move the gas cylinder off to the side of the rifle and add a little arm that interacts with the op rod to shorten the overall length of the action.  Cost, IIRC, is $2,500 not including the rifle.  Yikes!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
ALCON,

Here is the link to the thread that answers most questions, with additional links to the pages on my website that answers more.

Troy and Sage thread

However, I need to clarify a few things.  

1) The Troy IS NOT permanently modified as the receiver is not modified.  The oprod has has an additional point of contact welded in, but if you wished you can reverse the SOPMOD conversion by replacing the barrel, oprod and stock; it's that simple.

2) The Sage is not a true drop-in.  It requires removal of the gas system and replacing of the oprod guide.  Less parts changing than the Troy Rock SOPMOD, but the stock weighs much more than Troy's, and you can't put an over the barrel suppresor on a 16" barreled Sage-stocked rifle; you can with Troy's.

3) Troy is producing the M-14 Modular Stock System that will be much like his Rock SOPMOD M-14 that will drop-in.

4) $3600 is not out of the ball park for a hand assembled 7.62 designated marksman rifle.  It just does not look like one.

I hope this helps.

Take Care,

Tony
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
4) $3600 is not out of the ball park for a hand assembled 7.62 designated marksman rifle...

It''s out of my ballpark !

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Abortion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I just like that TID/Phantom combo flash suppressor. When are they going to sell those?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully Choate will have a folding stock on the market soon.  That's good enough for me!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
No sir I dont like it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I saw one of these ugly bastards at SHOT two years ago.

here's a pic of what I saw
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Norman,

That is what you saw, but  doesn't the SOPMOD look great!  LOL

It's not a pretty carbine, but a functional one with Tactical Flexibility!

Take Care,

Tony
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Norman,

That is what you saw, but  doesn't the SOPMOD look great!  LOL

It's not a pretty carbine, but a functional one with Tactical Flexibility!

Take Care,

Tony

I guess so, I just remember it being heavy as hell, and wondering what the point of the rifle was.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
After checking it out for a few days, I think I'm having second thoughts about it myself. Just looks kind of clunky....like it's made from parts of several systems, to make one new one. Just doesn't have the continuity that some others have. I guess I just thought the top photo in this thread was kinda cool....but that really doesn't cut it.

If I had my choice for a tricked out "CQB" .308...there's just one I REALLY would love to have....

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#15]
For what it's worth...

I actually LIKE the Troy SopMod and hopefully the M1A/M14 Drop in Stock version called the M.S.S I believe.

In fact I've got one on order! hile
Since these stock do not require glass bedding they will be sturdier than either a wood of current synthetic stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I always thought the Nigerian BM-59 stock was the coolest of the cool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Norman,

I guess so, I just remember it being heavy as hell, and wondering what the point of the rifle was.

It should be noted that all of the weight is in the barrel.  The stock with the collapsing buttstock and rails weighs very close to a wood stock with the buttplate.  It was designed as a short precision rifle.    It can be confiqured as a precision rifle or a CQB rifle.  The point of the rifle was an answer to the Navy's desire to use the M14 in a role other than that of the main Battle Rifle.

M4,

After checking it out for a few days, I think I'm having second thoughts about it myself. Just looks kind of clunky....like it's made from parts of several systems, to make one new one. Just doesn't have the continuity that some others have. I guess I just thought the top photo in this thread was kinda cool....but that really doesn't cut it.

It's not parts of several systems.  The stock, barrel, rails, handguard are all designed specifically for it.  It is what it is.  However, the FAL is an easier platform to adapt to the CQB role. Just don't try to make a precision 300 to 500 meter shot with it in CQB clothing.  The SOPMOD can.  That's the difference.  Those FAL OSW's do look great though and if CQB is the main point of your 7.62 rifle it's an excellent choice.  The SOPMOD M14's best role is as a spotter's weapon or as a designated marksman weapon in urban environments.  If your ever in GA let me know and we may be able to put you on a range with mine.  It really is a nice shooting little carbine.

Sniper3142,

For what it's worth...

I actually LIKE the Troy SopMod and hopefully the M1A/M14 Drop in Stock version called the M.S.S I believe.

In fact I've got one on order!

While they are heavy, so is the M1A in just about every other configuration once you add optics, etc.

Since these stock do not require glass bedding they will be sturdier than either a wood of current synthetic stock.

Your correct on all counts.

innocent_bystander,

I always thought the Nigerian BM-59 stock was the coolest of the cool.

Yes, very cool.

To all those who think it's ugly... It was not made for you!  (Obviously!) LOL

Take Care,

Tony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top