Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 2:33:31 PM EDT
I recently purchased three 25 round Hot Lips magazines for my Ruger 10/22.
These magazines (all three) do not eject the spent cartridges.  The factory 10 round Ruger mag works just fine... as a comparison.

I've attached two photos which show the Ruger (left) and the Butler Creek magazine profile.  As you can see, there is a definite difference between the dimensions of these magazines.  I worked the action of my 10/22 rifle and it looks like the higher shoulder on the Ruger mag helps in ejection.  

I've also forwarded these photos to Butler Creek.  I'm curious what they have to say about this.  And yes, I've checked and re-checked... the package for all three mags indicate they are for a Ruger 10/22.

Anybody have a similiar experience??

Z-out

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently purchased three 25 round Hot Lips magazines for my Ruger 10/22.
These magazines (all three) do not eject the spent cartridges.  The factory 10 round Ruger mag works just fine... as a comparison.

I've attached two photos which show the Ruger (left) and the Butler Creek magazine profile.  As you can see, there is a definite difference between the dimensions of these magazines.  I worked the action of my 10/22 rifle and it looks like the higher shoulder on the Ruger mag helps in ejection.  

I've also forwarded these photos to Butler Creek.  I'm curious what they have to say about this.  And yes, I've checked and re-checked... the package for all three mags indicate they are for a Ruger 10/22.

Anybody have a similiar experience??

Z-out

]

The Butler Creek mags are a copy of the older style ruger 10/22 factory mags, Ruger changed their design to add the hump on the left side of the mag and add a suplemental ejector, this was due to rifles having a failure to eject problem due to the spent cases not hitting the ejector on the trigger group.  You might check the ejector of your rifle to make sure it's in place to where the spent casing can hit it and eject.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You picture shows them to be "uneven", but they don't sit that way in the mag well.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it depends on where that little red stub hooks into the mag release.

I drew a line horizontally to explain it better:

Look at the red stubs, not the outer mag dimensions.  

ETA:  If anything, you should have failure to feed problems.  The HEIGHT of the mag to the chamber is what I usually have problems with.  Which seems to result in the bolt scraping a gouge in the bullet underneath the one that its chambering.    
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
the mags arnt even, he was lining the left should of the BC mag up with the right shoulder of the factory mag and the two shoulders are diffrent heights.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You picture shows them to be "uneven", but they don't sit that way in the mag well.  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it depends on where that little red stub hooks into the mag release.  

OK. I can see that.  But, the overall shape of the mag is different.  It doesn't even look like the correct mag for the rifle.
I see two similiar, but different mags.

I'm curious what Butler Creek has to say.  I'll keep you informed.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are 10/22 mags, I've got 4 that look just like them, the ejection problem is the lack of the secondary ejector on the BC mags, per the AGI armorer's course.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry, how is this news?

I did a quick Photoshop overlay of the two magazines. Here you can clearly see they are identical except for the Ruger's new extension of the lip. Again the old ruger mags had the same profile as the BC. When BC will decide to change to the newer design no one knows, IMO it is uneeded as all my BC feeds perfectly. Any rifle I know of that does not eject a spent round seem to be caused by the ejector, especially the angle of the ejector hook which are sometimes a bit too severed when leaving the factory. You might want to pull the bolt and ensure the ejector looks ok and functions.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those are 10/22 mags, I've got 4 that look just like them, the ejection problem is the lack of the secondary ejector on the BC mags, per the AGI armorer's course.

I disagree with AGI... 10/22 factory extractors can be iffy this is more likely the problem… replace the factory extractor with a Volquartsen extractor and the problems will likely end. Having said that I have never had a problem with Hot Lips mags in many years of use no matter the extractor.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
ejection is different from extraction, ejection is mainly in the mags.

butler creek mags are just that, aftermarket mags
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I had problems with my asscreek I mean buttler creek 25 round mags for a while until I switched ammo. I was using the Fedral 550 bundle and swithed to a Winchester 500 bundle pack. After  switching ammo I hardly every have problems and when I do it's usually that I am pulling the trigger too fast.

hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
you might want to try out the steel lip version.  they cost a bit more than the plastic version but the ones that i have works 100%.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
i have tried the steel lips as well and they dont work for me either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ejection is different from extraction, ejection is mainly in the mags.

butler creek mags are just that, aftermarket mags

Not really... Without a extraction there is no ejection, if the extractor in not working right the ejector cannot work right. Replacing the factory 10/22 extractor will fix most ejection problems… it will likely fix this one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've also forwarded these photos to Butler Creek.  I'm curious what they have to say about this.  

This from Butler Creek...

To: Arty Z
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 10:06 AM
Subject: RE: Hot Lips 10/22 Magazine

Arty:

If you will supply a mailing address, we will email you instructions on how to obtain a replacement item.

I'll keep y'all informed.  They seem to be responsive to my problem.  They e-mailed me the 1st working day open.  That's pretty cool.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've also forwarded these photos to Butler Creek.  I'm curious what they have to say about this.  

This from Butler Creek...

To: Arty Z
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 10:06 AM
Subject: RE: Hot Lips 10/22 Magazine

Arty:

If you will supply a mailing address, we will email you instructions on how to obtain a replacement item.

I'll keep y'all informed.  They seem to be responsive to my problem.  They e-mailed me the 1st working day open.  That's pretty cool.

Any update?  

I almost tossed my 2 BC hot lips mags in front of my backstop, to use as a target.  
ALMOST...  Then I tried some CCI Blazer ammo.  With this ammo, they feed and extract like a champ.  Plus, I'm getting under 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards w/ it!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#16]
My Butlers have always run fine.  I've been using them for years.  All my ejection woes are attributable to the shitty wally world bulk pack ammo that I have now decided to stop using.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought an inexpensive aftermarket barrel. My BC mags don't work now. They do work with my Hogue barrel which I kept. I have problems with failure to extract (tight chamber ?). I finally got CCI Blazers to extract and eject OK with the Ruger mag.

I'm going to buy a VQ extractor which I have read does help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top