Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:57:02 AM EDT
Anyone running a can on a G19 or G17 that didn't break the bank. I Really want to but a can on my 9 mm Glocks for some fun at the range. If you have suppressed your Glock what height sights did you change to also. Thanks for the advice and even if it was an expensive can let me know. I don't plan to drop the paper work until the ATF either gets caught up or figures out how to approve the forms in a timely manner.

Thanks,
Kirch
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2012 7:17:47 AM EDT by m1garand30064]
Originally Posted By Kirch:
Anyone running a can on a G19 or G17 that didn't break the bank. I Really want to but a can on my 9 mm Glocks for some fun at the range. If you have suppressed your Glock what height sights did you change to also. Thanks for the advice and even if it was an expensive can let me know. I don't plan to drop the paper work until the ATF either gets caught up or figures out how to approve the forms in a timely manner.

Thanks,
Kirch

Honestly, your post suggests to me that you might want to stay out of the NFA game.  If you have a really tight budget and an aversion to waiting this is definitely not for you.  It's likely the ATF will never be caught up on form processing, and with the gaining popularity of NFA items we will be lucky if wait times go back to a 3-4 month period rather than the 6-8 we are seeing now.

If you are serious about it, I'd recommend getting the best can possible.  No matter what you chose you still have to pay the feds $200 and wait the same amount of time.  Take a little more time and save up more money and get the best possible so that you dont regret your decision.  There are no returns and these are basically impossible to sell once they are on a form 4.  

Right now the two cans out there that get the best reviews are the AAC TiRant 9 and the SIlencerCo Osprey 9.  Both are extremely quiet dry, and are stupid quiet wet.  The sight profile of the Osprey is better than the TiRant because of its design, but it has a little more blow back (gas in the face) compared to the TiRant.  The customer service at SilencerCo is nothing short of outstanding, so if you ever have any problems I doubt you will have no issues getting it taken care of.  AAC's customer service has been good in my experience, but you will hear stories on the interwebs of people that have had problems.  

The SWR Octane 9 also has gotten rave reviews so you may want to look at that one too.  I dont know as much about this can other than it is user serviceable (so is the TiRant) and apparently offers good sound suppression.  SWR got bought out by SilencerCo so expect the same level of customer service.

That's my two cents.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:32:03 AM EDT
if you want cheap, look at YHM Cobra's. Specifically the M2. They can be had for a fairly good price. Hovering around 400$ without the tax stamp IIRC.  Not the best by a long shot but still suppress decently for what they are.

As mentioned above, the Osprey is an excellent can. I have shot one in .45 ACP on a G21.  Stoopid quiet is the only thing that comes to mind but you're going to pay about 750-800$ for one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:43:15 AM EDT
Don't waste your money on a low tier can. Spent the extra 200 for a decent one  or you will not be happy when you hear a decent one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:45:44 AM EDT
Me, Me, Me!...and don't dick with your sights, it's not worth it, IMO. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:
if you want cheap, look at YHM Cobra's. Specifically the M2. They can be had for a fairly good price. Hovering around 400$ without the tax stamp IIRC.  Not the best by a long shot but still suppress decently for what they are.

As mentioned above, the Osprey is an excellent can. I have shot one in .45 ACP on a G21.  Stoopid quiet is the only thing that comes to mind but you're going to pay about 750-800$ for one.

Yes.

Cobras are economical, rated for full auto, user servicable, and can be indexed in six different positions to compensate for POI shift.

I have a Cobra 40 M2. No regrets.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:40 AM EDT
I would recommend the SWR Octane 9 HD2.  Take apart, full stainless baffle stack, top performer, and at Silencer Shop they are going for $511 shipped with a piston of your choice.  Figure in the transfer to your dealer and the $200 stamp and you're looking at mid $700's for a can that could outlast you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:00:46 PM EDT
I got a Multimount for my G19 - Its around $600.  However, thats for the can - you need the LID (booster) which is $150.  

I bought it cause it was cheap(er), but honestly, I'd go with what others are telling you.  In the grand scheme of things a few hundred bucks isn't that big of a deal.

I have ameriglo sights - which are ok - however my multimount is a 1.375" can, so you still barely get over it, however with regular sights they would be buried.  

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have sprung for a TiRant 9 if going with a 1.375" can - or a Tundra/Evo (If I wanted the thinner 1.25" can).  I actually am waiting for a Tundra, and will use my multimount on a 9mm AR build.  

When you get to the end, meaning hopefully a good setup you enjoy, the suppressor isn't really as much of the total cost as you may now think.

Threaded barrel ~ $150

Sights ~ $100

Stamp - $200

Plus, I never really shot 147gr ammo, and when you get a can - you'll get much better performance with subsonic, which is typically higher.

Also - get in line with the ATF, as its not getting any shorter.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:12:55 PM EDT
I just ordered a TiRant 45 and intend to use it on several things, including my Glock 19. From what I've heard the TiRant 45 performs almost as good as the TiRant 9 on 9mm hosts and is more versatile. I plan on using it on 9mm, .45 and 300 Blk hosts (maybe more). Not cheap but the versatility is worth it to me. You might be waiting a while if you are waiting for ATF to catch up (I've heard they are getting slightly better but I'm not holding my breath).
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:25:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IFBBjuicemonkey:

I would recommend the SWR Octane 9 HD2.  Take apart, full stainless baffle stack, top performer, and at Silencer Shop they are going for $511 shipped with a piston of your choice.  Figure in the transfer to your dealer and the $200 stamp and you're looking at mid $700's for a can that could outlast you.

That's a smokin' deal on the Octane! Us early adopters forked out $700 for an HD!

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:00:24 PM EDT
Cool and thanks fellas. All these suggestions will give me a good place to start looking. Just not looking forward to another long wait on a stamp. My third stamp to 6 months and almost killed me. Then again I'm spoiled my first two took right at 3 months door to door.

Thanks again fellas,
Kirch
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:23:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By boricua9mm:

Originally Posted By IFBBjuicemonkey:

That's a smokin' deal on the Octane! Us early adopters forked out $700 for an HD!

Yeah, but at least you have yours in hand now!  I'm still pondering getting one (already have a Trident) but would get more practical use out of another rifle can.  OP, I would highly recommend staying away from sealed cans.  Get a take apart and it can do double duty as a .22 can.  I would never put .22 through a sealed can.  The Octane is also rated for subsonic .300 blackout.
Top Top