Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/7/2003 7:08:54 PM EDT
Can anyone reccommend one? This will not be a match rifle or anything, I just need some 22s to instruct Boy Scouts so they can get their rifle merit badges.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:48:09 PM EDT
My first rifle was a Marlin .22 given to me by my father, I don't think you could go wrong with one.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:50:35 PM EDT
I guess it depends how you define "cheap", but the CZ 452 Special @ $199 is a great rifle at a great price.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:48:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Maggot:
My first rifle was a Marlin .22 given to me by my father, I don't think you could go wrong with one.

I got my son a Marlin for his first .22, it has a tubular magazine, not sure of its capacity, but I know it holds way more than ten rounds. It will also shoot Shorts, Longs or LongRifle, all for close to a hundred bucks!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:32:54 PM EDT
Marlin model 25N. Should run you under $150 and meets all of your specified requirements.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:35:22 PM EDT
Get Marlin 25N .22lr rifles. They come with a detachable 7 round mag and cost about $150. BTW- I'm thinking of getting the rifle shooting merit badge, i'm in Troop 319, Verdugo Hills Councel. I'm almost a Life Scout.

The "rules" in the rifle shooting merit badge book are so much B.S. They say that if the rifle has a detachable mag, it must be single loaded. Can't use the .22WRF, no semi-auto rifles, and get this... The rifle MUST have a trigger pull in excess of three(3) pounds!! The rifles must be tested weekly while in use to ensure that the trigger pull is over 3 pounds. If the trigger pull is less, the rifle should be immediately removed from service! That is B.S. (IMO) if I ever heard it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:12:29 PM EDT
I'll second the CZ 452 Special.

Runner-up: Savage MkII G

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:06:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hickboy:
The "rules" in the rifle shooting merit badge book are so much B.S. They say that if the rifle has a detachable mag, it must be single loaded. Can't use the .22WRF, no semi-auto rifles, and get this... The rifle MUST have a trigger pull in excess of three(3) pounds!!

BS especially in light of the fact that the only "approved" shotguns are semiautomatics. So a 12 Remington 1100 is OK, but a Ruger 10/22 is not. Now which is more dangerous? ARs are of course out of the question.

Anyway, I looked at the brands suggested today. The Marlin was nice, but the one I looked at had such a high stock that the irons were barely usable. Maybe they make another model with a better stock design. The CZ was nice, in fact perfect, but I probably need two of these things so I was hoping to get something a little cheaper. The Savage was OK.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:20:31 PM EDT
I have a Savage MkII . I like it alot .
Got it at a pawn shop with scope for $65 .

Walmart sells the same gun with scope for $100 I think .
I talked my bro into getting his son ( my nephew ) one for Christmas .
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:32:21 AM EDT
The Romanian 1969 Trainers that SOG and others are selling are outstanding rifles, detachable mag (5 shot) and are usually only $60 or so.

I have 2 and they both are very very accurate, decent triggers and are built tough. With Wolf MT on the scoped one I can make a ragged hole at 25 yards.

How can you beat a deal like that?
Top Top