Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2002 6:34:10 PM EDT
My local sporting goods has them on special...from $339-450 depending on model.

Are these any good? Anyone have actual experience with them?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the full size blued model and all I can say is that it's a range gun.  It jams quite often and is not very accurate.  If you want a serious 1911, go with a Kimber or Springfield, but for a 'take to the range and beat up' pistol, the Charles Daly is fine.  Mine doesn't like to chamber rounds sometimes, almost like it needs more spring pressure to close the slide fully.  I'm not all that worried about it though because I only shoot it once a month or so.
That's about all I have to say on it, the plus side is you get two 8-round mags and a hard case with it!
-Marksman
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you intend to use it as a paper weight, or perhaps an anchor, they are great.  I fell into the low cost trap of this pistol about three years ago.  When it shot it was horribly inaccurate, it would lock open during firing with about 6 rounds still in the chamber, the sights were horrible and it was heavy as hell.  I got rid of it in less than a month, and felt guilty about selling it.

Since, I have bought two kimbers, and couldn't be happier.  Save your money.

Tanker
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
They're decent guns to build upon.  The problems both Marksman762 and m1tanker seem to be having sound like they'd be fixed with feed ramp polishing.  Hell, any 1911 will benefit from a good action job by a 1911 gunsmith.

If you're expecting a Daly .45 or any other sub $500 1991 to be great out of the box, you're probably in for a little bit of heartache and frustration.  If you're looking to build up a 1911, they aren't bad platforms to start with.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys...had a feeling and you all confirmed it.

Again, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#5]

no
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Luckily, the gunshop where I bought mine, has an indoor range...

After all the paperwork, I went over to the range try it out...
It had feeding problems, and after the 11th successfull round through the gun, the ambi-safety, detent, and spring fell apart and onto the floor...

I gathered up all the pieces. and traded it back to the dealer...

I replaced it with a Springfield...
The Sprngfield wouldn't jam no matter how hard I tried...

I tried the limp-wrist, the flat nose ammo, the hollow points and all...
It's the best 1911 for the money IMHO...
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
From what I heard, Charles Dalys just look nice, that's all.  If you want a gun that you can depend on, get a Springfield with Wilson mags.  If money's not an issue, then get a Wilson.  They're expensive as hell, but they are damn reliable.  I shot over 2,000 rounds with my CQB without any malfunctions yet.  Worked well right out of the box.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot two Daly's, both had many problems. One actually had the front sight fly off. If you need a $400 paperweight, buy it. Otherwise get a used SA or Colt. Even an Essex is decent.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The real value in the Daly line is the Turkish built (Akar) 12ga riot gun, Remington 870 knock off. by far the best of the import cheap riot guns.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had mine for a couple of years now and I love it. I shoot mostly hardball loads, only had one malfunction with hollowpoints, but I do my own gunsmithing so it was easy to clear up.  I can't hit nothing with it, although my dad shot expert with .45 in the army and he drives tacks with it.  I guess I just got lucky and found a good pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top