Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 10:31:42 AM EDT
I want to have a pistol refinished, and the sights refinished as well since they got a few dings during install.

The dovetail on my pistol was undersized, and it took me about 30 minutes to get the rear sight installed and centered with some fitting and cussing.

I don't want to go through that again, especially after I have it refinished and risk marring it up.

Can a pistol be refinished with the metal sights installed? It is a serrated rear and an FO front, if I pop out the tube is it ok to leave the sights on?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:55:21 PM EDT
I use a universal sight pusher and am usually able to fit sights without having any dings or mars.  I'll grab a picture of the one I use in a minute.  

As for the cerakote with sights in place.  I typically will break everything all the way down to make sure that I have all the oils out and that I'm getting a complete refinish. I personally don't do it, but if you were to "gas out" a few times and do a few hour long acetone baths (not sprays) then it might get any oil out of that space.  

You also need to make sure any abrasive (ALOX) is completely blown out from the tight areas at the sight edges.  

The problem comes when you bake it and the oil seeps out and ruins the bond/coating.  I think if you got away without any seeping then you would have a good bond.  

If you are using a professional then they can likely handle the sights for you.  If you are doing it yourself then you might just spend 100 on a universal sight pusher.  Always good to have a reason to buy new tools.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:10:55 PM EDT
I use the larger "kit" version of this, but this would work for a lot of applications.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163458/b-and-j-machine-p500-standard-universal-front-and-rear-sight-tool
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:09:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 6:10:26 AM EDT by foofoo]
i can understand your fustration. ive buggered up my share of sight installs.not having the right tools or parts that need fitting and being in a rush doesnt help/ are you re-finishing yourself.?   if your sending it out i would send it to birdsong for re-fnish.the gunsmith there Wally has taken apart and re-finished every crazy thing ive sent to him. they are masters of making things look new. just a thought if your not doing it yourself.
Top Top