Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:18:24 PM EDT
I know it's been asked before but here goes.  My wife got me one of the new century R1A1's a while back and today was it's first trip out.  I was shooting the surplus SA battle packs.  I set the gas system till it would lock the bolt back then went 2 more clicks with a final setting of 4.5.  It seemed to do fine then started having trouble feeding, it done this at least once every magazine.  Accuracy was pretty good though.  I like the rifle and since the misses got it for me I will keep it but I would appreciate any help in fixing the feeding problem.      
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Define "trouble feeding"; the bolt won't strip the round out of the mag completely? If so maybe the return springs are worn out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems like the bolt isnt catching the base of the round and then it hangs half way up the case. It doesnt do it every time any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it do this with all your mags? Worn out magazine spring?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
It done it with 2 mags and I was thinking the same thing I am gonna pick up some new ones at Knob Creek.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The worst part of my R1A1 purchase was the magazines. I had 2 that did exactly what you describe. I purchased some new mags and all my problems went away.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I also just purchased a Century Sporter. out of 5 mags, the oldest & most worn mag wouldnt always feed. the rest all fed every round. For an inexpensive rifle i am overall very happy with it. at 100yds it shoots 1-2" with the occ 3-4" groups, off the bench, gas port on 5 the shells were ejected 10-12ft.  The finish isnt that great so I sent it off to be Duracoated, AM Tigerstripe OD green & Black.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I am happy with mine.  I agree the finish could be better but I have seen alot worse.  I am gonna pick up some mags at Knob Creek next weekend and see if mine will function better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a Century....did you acctually expect it to fire?

Hope you get her running and good luck!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you've got the right idea with the mags. Either replace mags entirely, or just springs. And yes, you can get Centurys that run correctly. I have an inch pattern one that is great. I need to get my mag springs replaced, but then it should run perfectly. DSA has them at $2 each, or if you buy some (don't remember exactly how many you need) they are $1 each.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Try the new mag first - also if you have an "inch" CAI then you may want to go to a higher gas setting - 4 ish is lower than the typical CAI likes in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I have quite a few of the DSA $5 used mags, but haven't had any problems with the bunch.  They may have some scratches and finish wear, but for $5 they are a great deal.  DSA should have them at KCR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top