Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/30/2002 10:06:22 PM EST
OK, from what I have been hearing lately, sounds as if Century is getting their act together and making pretty good stuff, both in their L1A1 guns as well as M1 Garands. Does anyone have a Century Garand? How's it shoot and does it function reliably? If so I think I will take my chances with one of these on down the road so I don't have to wait and wonder what's going on at CMP. I am not a very patient person! Hehe.

Also, I see that IAI is supposed to be producing a Garand rifle as well. I have seen and heard good things about their M1 Carbines, but have yet to see any place that sells their Garands. Anyone know anything about these or where to get them? Just wondering as a second Garand rifle (already have a surplus) may be in my future someday. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:48:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2002 10:49:13 PM EST by Edward_Forrester]
IAI Garands are unsafe, completely and utterly crap!

Century Garands are not really any different....

they are out of spec so parts do not fit properly and safely
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:09:49 AM EST
I was thinking that the Century Garands were built up using GI parts with Century receivers. If that is the case, how can the parts be out of spec? I am not the smartest person in the world, but if the parts are so bad that they are unsafe, how could they even put the rifles together? I have heard from several people that have bought these rifles and had perfect success with them. I think D Brewer was one of them. But I was just wanting to know if anyone had any direct experience with them. I have heard all of the horror stories about Century Garands, but I have never heard anyone say that they themselves had problems with them. Are they really that bad or are these stories all the result of a couple of bad rifles? If they are as terrible as I hear I don't want one, but I just can't imagine them putting out guns that are as horrible as many claim. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:23:33 AM EST
The worst I have seen from an IAI (they are not common around here) was that the firing pin recess cut waswell, for all intents and purposes not there, adn the bolt was hitting the back of the receiver, it hammer welded the firign pin and that caused the rifle to go full auto, not fun if unexpected. Most parts are USGI, last i heard, but they are drying up, adn there are repro parts making it our, mainly though it is the fit of the parts to the receiver, whether repro or USGI that si the problem, they fit, but not properly, th ebolt does not recess propperly into the lugs, op rod can and will dismount with firing etc.

with anythign you can make it work, but USGI Garands can still be ahd reasonably cheap, so why bother?

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:42:56 AM EST
Edward,

Thanks for the specifics. It sounds as if these rifles are hit and miss. Some have no problems with them and love them. Some have fits with them and hate them. So I guess it's the luck of the draw as to what you get. I may just kind of forget about Century and IAI. I like to know that I am likely getting a decent rifle when I buy one and not a complete piece of garbage. If GI Garands are still fairly common, I should see a few floating around gun shows that I can buy. I just haven't been to any recently. I would just go the CMP route I suppose, but I am not a member of any of their required clubs and there are no rifle matches anywhere close to me. So I just don't meet their qualifications and doing so wouldn't be very practical. I'll just keep my eyes open. Again, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:58:47 AM EST
CMP Garands are available everywhere. Check gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, etc. Also, Orion7 www.m1garand.com Battle Grade rifles are basically CMP Service Grade rifles checked for function and tweaked as necessary to be reliable. They are $400 more, but I've heard he's a real pro.

The CMP is hit or miss too, but they have a liberal return policy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:51:43 AM EST
I dunno, I have a A CAI Garand, and I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Tony
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:12:13 AM EST
The problem with the CAI and IAI Garands are that the quality has been seen to be spotty. I've heard a few people that have CAI Garands and they seem to work fine. Haven't heard any about the IAI, but the IAI M1 Carbines are top-notch, from what I hear.

Now, with the USGI M1s available through the CMP, you KNOW you're getting a good, forged or milled receiver. You KNOW it's been inspected by both the military, and the CMP, and they know their $hi7 about the M1. Even for a 60 year old rifle, I trust it more than I trust a cast copy. The CMP is WELL worth the price, and is worth the wait. If you can't wait, check the auction sites for USGI rifles.

M@
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:40:01 AM EST
What matja said. I've purchased 3 CMP Garands without going through the CMP program. And if you want a really pretty Garand, check out ]www.dgrguns.com/index.html[/ur]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:43:38 AM EST
Marvl,

DGR does some awesome work! I saw a picture of a guy's M1 that was reparked and put in a blonde maple stock. Talk about sweet looking! If it shot as good as it looked, it would take the wings of a gnat at 200 yards!

Someday I'll send one to him and make it pretty.

Anthony Pucci Jr at Orion 7 gets my business for everything else (so far). He's got good prices, and quick turnaround, and has earned his excellent reputation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:47:11 AM EST
Top Top