Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2008 10:43:39 PM EDT
A buddy of mine says he needs cash and wanted to know if I was interested in buying a Century Arms G3. He said it has the turret rear site like HK, but has wood stocks? I am wondering what it is worth and if it is reliable or junk.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
they're a crap shoot, i've seen some good ones, and i've seen some that won't run without some serious professional help.  I'd say go cheap and see what happens.  Also, make sure if it's a G3 clone or a cetme, as I've only ever seen the cetme clones of theirs with wood on them, and as I remember those aren't actually 922 compliant.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Worth What? how much is he asking? $350 would be fair for a well belt Century Cetme although I see them going for higher these days.

Quoted:
A buddy of mine says he needs cash and wanted to know if I was interested in buying a Century Arms G3. He said it has the turret rear site like HK, but has wood stocks? I am wondering what it is worth and if it is reliable or junk.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can find a very early one or a very late one your chances are good it will be OK.

Somewhere in between they must have had Chimps assembling them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Take it and 200 rounds out to your range and test fire it...
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Yikes - it just hit me that 200 rounds of ammo ~= $100.00

If you're bitten on going roller, its good advice to go shoot it, but I'd have reservations about owning it because of ammo costs. When 308 was around 135-150 per k, not a big deal.

For the same money I'd do an EE Ak or start an AR parts gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It could still be a G3, he might have taken off the crappy Century stocks and replaced them with the German wood stocks from the early G3s. The sets are still avaliable at CDNN.

If it is a CETME, it's less than $400 and you fancy yourself more a collector than a shooter I say go for it. The CETME has some very neat history.

If it's a G3 I'd lean towards passing and just getting a JLD PTR. My Century G3 has given me a lot of grief (myself and most others had issues with improperly clipped and pinned lowers). The only nice thing about the Century G3s are that they have the hammer forged barrels.

I agree that ammo costs are killing battle rifle owners these days. I havn't shot my G3 in years as a result.. You can bring your costs down by reloading but you'll need the ejection port buffer or you'll end up with very dented brass.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Century=GARBAGE
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Century=GARBAGE

+1
In over 12 Century made rifles not one we fired made it through a full mag without a malfunction.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
   Runaway from it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#10]
my century runs like a raped ape
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]
You might get lucky and get one that runs fine...or it might cost you more than you paid for it in gunsmithing fees to make it run.

50/50
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Century=GARBAGE

+1,000
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I got one that was a piece of crap so I returned it.  Never shot it because the worksmanship was so shoddy I could not even disassemble it, including beating on the buttstock takedown pins with an e-tool.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one that wouldn't take HK G3 mags and had to be field stripped to get spent cases out 1-3 times per range trip.

Traded it for a Maadi AK with horribly deformed sights.

Life is pain.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had one that wouldn't take HK G3 mags and had to be field stripped to get spent cases out 1-3 times per range trip.

Traded it for a Maadi AK with horribly deformed sights.

Life is pain.

did it by any chance take cetme mags ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I was under the possibly mistaken impression that they were the same.  Perhaps I was wrong.

Feeling like a dumbass is good therapy anyway.

Either way, I did not have an overall pleasant experience.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#17]
  I had the same problems as rifleman2000 when it came to field stripping the
weapon. At first I thought it was me but once I got the abortion of metal completely disassembled I was utterly amazed at what a crude and shoddy piece of garbage my Century G3 turned out to be. What was even worse is that the abortion of metal could'nt hit a target 10 yards away!!!!!! Take my advice and spend a $1000k on a PTR91 and do it right the first time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top