Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 7:03:02 PM EDT by jason99xj]
A buddy of mine is looking at a Century Arms .30 M1 Carbine.

Anybody have any experience with one, or know anything about the quality?

I know absolutely nothing about the M1 Carbine, so I just looked it over at the store (Dunham's Sporting goods).

The price was $460 if I remember right.

What's the story on these things?

Jason
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:46:59 PM EDT
Are you sure it was Century, And not Israeli Arms Int.?
IAI was doing repro's for several years, and now Kahr has taken over---but I have never heard of Century butchering, I mean assembling M-1 Carbines-----they've done Garands, FAL's, AK's--but carbines would be a new one on me. If i'm wrong, i'm sure someone will correct me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 7:49:33 PM EDT by jason99xj]

Originally Posted By AZ-Dave:
Are you sure it was Century, And not Israeli Arms Int.?
IAI was doing repro's for several years, and now Kahr has taken over---but I have never heard of Century butchering, I mean assembling M-1 Carbines-----they've done Garands, FAL's, AK's--but carbines would be a new one on me. If i'm wrong, i'm sure someone will correct me.

It said 'Century Arms' on both tags.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:50:49 PM EDT
anybody else?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:50:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jason99xj:

I know absolutely nothing about the M1 Carbine.

Jason

Due to this statement, I must ask a question and it may be a stupid question so don't be offended. Are you sure it was an M1 Carbine and not an M1 rifle? In all the years I've been a gun guy, which is many, I've never heard of a Century M1 carbine. Century however, did sell M1 rifles. They had cast commercial receivers and a mixture of USGI and Danish/Italian surplus parts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:35:53 AM EDT
I think Sukebe might be on to something. Century has imported a lot of stuff over the years but I certainly don't ever recall M-1 carbines. Garands yes. Had one and mine at least worked fine. Mausers, mosins. enfields, mannlichers, MAS, you name it and they sold it. Except carbines.

Curious.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:24:30 AM EDT
It is also possible that the place selling it has it mislabelled. It wouldn't be the first time somone in a gunstore didn't know what the hell they were doing/talking about.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:41:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 11:43:11 AM EDT by jason99xj]

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
It is also possible that the place selling it has it mislabelled. It wouldn't be the first time somone in a gunstore didn't know what the hell they were doing/talking about.

Possibly. I'll give it a better look next time I'm in the store.

And yes, I'm 100% positive it was a M1 Carbine. .30 cal, external box magazine, looked like this: images.snapfish.com/3444887923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D483%3D343%­3DXROQDF%3E2323974895%3B97ot1lsi (JJREA's rifle in the pic thread)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:20:02 PM EDT

Pay special attention to the receiver underneath the rear sight. See if there is a manufacturers name stamped there. These could be parts kits mated up to an aftermarket commercial cast receiver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:49:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

Pay special attention to the receiver underneath the rear sight. See if there is a manufacturers name stamped there. These could be parts kits mated up to an aftermarket commercial cast receiver.

Will do. Any other markings I should look for?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:42:35 PM EDT
Reciever markings are the most important but also look at the barrel, near the muzzle. Should have an ordnance bomb, a manufacturer (Inland being the most common) and a date. There may also be an import stamp such as "Blue Sky, Arlington VA". Also check the stock for any cartouches. Check carefully, they can be small, faint or otherwise hard to read. Most parts will have a number and letter code stamped on it. These are not the serial number of the gun but the part number. See if all the parts "look" like the belong to one another. Is the finish the same? Are some parts noticeably lighter or darker than others?

$460 is actually on the low end of carbine prices in this day and age. Beat up imports start about there. Nice non import USGI rebuilds will typically be over $600 on the low end. "Original" non rebuild USGI will quickly top a grand and may push two large.

Without further info I would guess the carbine in question is either an IAI or Kahr reproduction or one the the Korean imports (Blue Sky) that came over about ten years ago. Examine carefully. IAI were hit or miss. Kahr just got into the market, too new to rate. And most of the Koreans were pretty well beat up. Restorable but carbine parts have gotten out of hand in recent years as the rebuilding craze took hold.
Top Top