Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2016 8:01:53 PM EDT
Have a NIB unfired Century Arms Golani Galil .223 rifle with 2 Oralite and one steel mag that I'm thinking about parting ways with.   What sale price and trade value are reasonable?  

Not expecting a huge return here - simply trying to establish a realistic expectation.

Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
$650-$700 would be very reasonable. I have seen them for $900+ not selling at gun shows recently.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have wanted one of these for a while.  Less than 24 hours after I FO on an aim surplus G17.  $650 seems about right for what I have seen. Not a lot of demand for them so you may have to wait a bit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I had nothing but problems with the magazines on mine. Does it have night sights? Those are desirable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I flirted with the idea of getting one on Gunbroker that was reworked by Jeff Miller.

I think it sold for $900

Standard one, $700 ish, I think.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Got a reworked (by Jeff) Golani for $600 w/ 7 mags.  Sold it for $800 w/ one mag.  It shot fine but very heavy for 5.56 cal, no desire to ever own one again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Didnt know they ever came with night sights. Thats cool.

I have never held one but they do appear heavy on paper. I think a vz58 or v2008 may make it before a golani.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought about a golani years ago.  Desire faded until I binge watched Narco last week.  They're not exactly ideal, but damn they look cool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one for awhile. Paid $600.00 for it. They were hit and miss if you got a good one or not. A friend of mine and I both bought one at the same time from the same store. Mine was a great shooter and very reliable. He had nothing but trouble with the one he got.

Biggest problem is that I like to stock up on magazines and parts and there just aren't any I could find. Wasn't long after I got it that there was a recall. I spoke with the dealer I got it from about it and it seems that Century had been sued and was cutting the bayonet lugs off and re-marking them as "Golani".  Mine said "Galil".

I sold it a year later for the same $600.00 I had in it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
To me personally, about $300. Been there done that. No more Century made guns for me.

Gunbroker-->Log In-->Advanced search-->Sort highest # bids first-->$700 to $750.

Keep in my buyers pay additional for shipping and transfer
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have a NIB unfired Century Arms Golani Galil .223 rifle with 2 Oralite and one steel mag that I'm thinking about parting ways with.   What sale price and trade value are reasonable?  

Not expecting a huge return here - simply trying to establish a realistic expectation.

Any input would be appreciated.
View Quote

A big part of what's killing the value is that it's unfired. Anyone who knows how to google is going to find out about the cream cheese receivers very quickly. And then there is the time limit on CAI's warranty, so if there are severe problems a buyer might be SOL.

If it were me I'd check other ones on gunbroker.com and see what they go for.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input everyone!

I know there have been issues reported and realize it make take a while to sell.  I may end up firing it for shits and giggles plus to verify it actually works.  If not, I'll throw it down the drive way a few times to get that rustic look going, hang it in the office and make up some batshit crazy story to tell people about it.  Might as well have some fun with it since I paid for it!

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes I think CAI is the only company than can make a parts kit worth less when they are done with it than it was before they started.

AJ
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought one for $500 something knowing it probably wouldn't work right. I was correct. Bolt only contacted one locking lug, the chamber was parkerized and extraction was sketchy. had a local smith rework it for me, lapping the locking lugs in, installing a virgin chrome lined Isreali barrel. Then I installed new tritium vials in the night sights and refinished it. All together I have probably $800 in it or less. It's a great rifle now.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa143/friscochris/20151106_115742_zpskyfjuahc.jpg
View Quote

Love it.  Looks great.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Then I installed new tritium vials in the night sights and refinished it.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa143/friscochris/20151106_115742_zpskyfjuahc.jpg
View Quote

That looks really good.  What did you refinish it with?  Did you use the same finish in camber and exterior?  Mine is parkerized and the night sights are gone as you described.  

Issues I've noticed so far with further inspection:

Oralite mags will not fit but steel mags work fine
Extraction seems to suck based on tests with snap caps but really need to fire it.
I forgot how the much the top cover was a pain in the ass to re-install (taking a break now as got frustrated)

If it performs at range, I might throw a couple hundred to get it running right.  It would be a fun plinking rifle and the purchase price is sunk cost in my mind as I bought it 7yrs ago.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:40:36 AM EDT
[#17]
had two, the first one was a total POS.  the second worked well enough but there was so much confusion regarding which receivers had issues or didn't, I sold it for what I had into it.

biggest issues was that the parent part kits were from guns surplused by Israeli to a south American country, beat to hell, and then cut and sold as kits.

with the new ACE guns coming, I wouldn't touch one of these for anything over 400-500.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got a reworked (by Jeff) Golani for $600 w/ 7 mags.  Sold it for $800 w/ one mag.  It shot fine but very heavy for 5.56 cal, no desire to ever own one again.
View Quote

I had an original IMI 386. I had the same experience. Was way to heavy for a 5.56 IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top