Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 2:43:27 PM EDT
When I read the posts the past few weeks about the rare Colt AR marked  "Colt Carbine", I remembered that I'd seen one at a reasonable price recently at a gun show. I've done busness with the owner before so I called him and asked him to hold it for me. Today I met him and picked it up. If its been fired you can't tell it!
Happy fourth of July!!  

photos.yahoo.com/frodawwg
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Fro nice rifle!

Damn,  I need to add a colt to my collection

Max
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
HOLY S**T, ANOTHER ONE!
why do some guys have all the luck???
i thought Cactus Jack was a lucky dog, (well, he still is) but so are you FRO.
happy shooting.
nice rifle.
colt.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#4]
FRO,

congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice looking peice, now you have joined the ranks of ruffly 300 people in the USA who owns one, gives you that warm fuzzy feeling don't it ?

i am going to have to start a poll to see whether i shud keep mine NIB or shoot it ?? my theory is, that Carbine will here long after i am gone, why shud i keep it NIB for someone else ?

someone said in another note, "shoot it, enjoy it, take care of it, it will not lose value just by being fired", i tend to agree.......
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

someone said in another note, "shoot it, enjoy it, take care of it, it will not lose value just by being fired", i tend to agree.......

That was probably me.

LNIB weapons bring very nearly the same price as NIB - and you get the pleasure of shooting as well as owning.  (I know, I know - some exceptions apply !!)
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
FRO,
everyone wants to ask but I'll be the low-life to ask first !!

How much did you have to pay ??

Did you get the box and manual ??
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everybody, If I hadn't seen the topics on here I wouldnt have gotten it.
When I saw it I thought it was just another interestingly marked Colt. It was the discussion about the 300 rifles like this that convinced me to get it.

As far as I can tell its never been fired. I ran a "Q" tip and a pipe cleaner in the gas tube and the carrier key and both came out clean. The bolt face looks brand new with no marks of any kind and there is no residue under the hammer where the selector is.

5subslr5,
He didnt have the box but he had the manual. He'd misplaced it though so I'll get that at a later date.
This is the most expensive firearm I've ever bought at $2500.00 and I had to sell my M96 to afford it. I feel safe that I can get my money back out of it if I want to sell it  at a later date. I already have a Sporter lightweight that shoots great so the temptation to shoot it is not there. I think I'll keep it like it is, or... mabye not. who knows??

Stokes, or CactusJack,
This one has the M4 feed ramp extensions in the upper, but its not stamped "4". It has a two position stock that is staked on and a large front pivot pin. Is yours the same?

What is the best way to contact Colt to get information about rifles, manufacture dates and such?
Thanks alot, FRO

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks everybody, If I hadn't seen the topics on here I wouldnt have gotten it.
When I saw it I thought it was just another interestingly marked Colt. It was the discussion about the 300 rifles like this that convinced me to get it.

As far as I can tell its never been fired. I ran a "Q" tip and a pipe cleaner in the gas tube and the carrier key and both came out clean. The bolt face looks brand new with no marks of any kind and there is no residue under the hammer where the selector is.

5subslr5,
He didnt have the box but he had the manual. He'd misplaced it though so I'll get that at a later date.
This is the most expensive firearm I've ever bought at $2500.00 and I had to sell my M96 to afford it. I feel safe that I can get my money back out of it if I want to sell it  at a later date. I already have a Sporter lightweight that shoots great so the temptation to shoot it is not there. I think I'll keep it like it is, or... mabye not. who knows??

Stokes, or CactusJack,
This one has the M4 feed ramp extensions in the upper, but its not stamped "4". It has a two position stock that is staked on and a large front pivot pin. Is yours the same?

What is the best way to contact Colt to get information about rifles, manufacture dates and such?
Thanks alot, FRO

Got you a fine one there FRO !!

I don't think you over paid based on Cactus Jack's price.  In fact, $2800 NIB and $2500 basically unfired with manual seems just about right.  And yes you'll have no problem getting your money back when/if you're ready to sell.

I would check with C. Jack about exactly what accessories came in his box and add those as you find them - you're getting the manual but there must be a cleaning kit and____________???

As for information, I understand STOKES is a very knowledgeable source here on AR15.com.  The last time (maybe a year ago) I needed info. from Colts' I called them.  Strangely enough, they didn't accept emails on production type questions - just phone calls.

(Now there was a time that for $25.00 plus shipping you could get a brand new, genuine Colts' replacement box complete with horsy - don't know about now but you might inquire.)

Now least all you Colts' guys start getting large heads please remember - "AR" stands for ArmaLite !
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
FRO,

Colts ph# 1 800 962 COLT (2658)

yes my Carbine has a large screw pivot, staked two position stock, the extensions you speak of is the standard feed ramps, maybe a bit deeper.....
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
5Sub,

i'd be happy to;

2, 20 rnd mags w/metal follower (once sealed in plastic bag)

1, cleaning kit w/ "T" handle (kit, simply means jointed rod & bore brush)

1, Colt manual (that includes carbines in the text)

1, rubber buttpad (not Colt mfg.)

1, chamber brush (packaged seperately)

1, "AccuWedge"

1, el cheapo black web sling, that seems common to all AR-15s & wannabees......

1, plastic bag w/ dessicant (Carbine was once sealed in p.bag)
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
FRO,

i forgot one other thyng....., is the bolt release really red & green ???????
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
CJ<
The feed ramps are like the M4 carbines. They have the extenions in the reciever. It also has a "4" stamped on the barrel extension next to the ejection port. See in the pic.

The bolt release ie the standard color. My camera is screwy
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Stokes,
don't be too hasty about the non label & ball point pen, according to a phone conversation i had wyth the owner of Prebanarms.com Mr. Charles Cuzalina, said, (providing my memory is correct) the export label was removed from the boxes of the carbines that did NOT get shipped prior to some Gov't regs/laws, the labels were never replaced & were I.D.'d on the box by ball point pen..., so i hope you still have the box, they too are worth buck$, mine is I.D.'d by ball pen.......
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#15]
FRO,
mine has the feed ramps, but, no #4.....!! that "4" is interesting, try to wiggle some info out of Colt & let us know what you find !

i was confused about the location of the #4 you mentioned, now i see what you mean.....

i was thynking about the stamping on the outside of the upper on some Colts when i told you about the triangle, square thyngy.....

IS THAT BOLT RELEASE BUTTON RED & GREEN AS IN THE PHOTO ????
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#16]
CJ
Colt puts a four like that one on every M4 barrel extension I've seen to date. I think its so that the assembly people know that the deeper barrel feed ramps will match up with the feed ramp extensions in the upper reciever, but thats a guess.

Did you say that yours is black? I thought they only came in grey back then.

The bolt release is the standard color. for some reason my camera added those "tye dye" colors. I guess it has something to do with the lines on the bolt release and how the camera sees them. I'll try to get another shot.

Stokes,
Do you know what country the rest of these were exported to?
Thanks, Jeff
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
FRO,

that "4" is confusing..., & interesting...! your Carbine shud not have any M4 parts in it...., but !!! we are talking Colt............
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top