Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2003 8:03:45 AM EDT
It finally happened to me guys. I was letting a coworker fire my 1944 Dane Winchester VAR barreled M1, and after firing a couple clips, it wouldn't chamber the next round. I ejected the clip and tried again, it wouldn't chamber. I ejected, but couldn't see much in the action, the bolt looked OK, etc...

Then I looked in the chamber, and could see that it looked dirty... then there was a little rim... I realized what happened. Freaking case head separation.

I was shooting some reloads that I got with the rifle. (I scored it in a trade) I still know the guy, and I know he didn't load crap, but he did mention not to reload that brass anymore, as he'd gotten a few loads. I guess the particular case was just too thinned out.

SO... I need a broken shell extractor. I checked Fulton Armory, but they're out of the .30-06 units. Anyone know where I can get one? Anyone know anything I can do without one? What do they look like and how do they work?

Will this work:.... Could I jam my chamber cleaning brush in there and twist it a little back to bite into the shell, then yank it out? Is it worth a try?

I'm not in a big rush. I don't have any matches or anything I need to shoot in anytime soon.

Thanks,
M@
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:19:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2003 8:21:48 AM EDT by Sukebe]
The best and easiest way is to use a case extractor. Shelve the rifle until you get one. Don't f*ck up your bore by trying to go cheap. You should have a separated case extractor for all of your rifles. Check the web for alternate sources. Cheaper Than Dirt sells them as does CDNN and Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:47:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2003 3:51:30 PM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:56:47 PM EDT
You may be able to knock it out with a very tight patch (swab). Maybe.

Lesson is not to carry a broken case extractor; lesson is not to shoot reloads.

I've carried broken case extractors for pushing 40 years and have never, ever needed one in my own rifles. But I only fire arsenal ammo.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 5:48:59 AM EDT
Well, I'll be looking around. RAF, I'll try to get a USGI type, so I can ram it out with a rod. I have a nice coated rod that should do the trick.

As for reloads, my M1 gets a steady diet of reloads. I have compared just a few of my reload recipes to Korean and US surplus M2 Ball, and my loads are more accurate. I have yet to have any problems with my reloads.

The loads I was shooting were not mine, and as mentioned, the previous owner of the rifle/ammo mentioned the brass was old, so I was not surprised with the head seperation. I don't think it's a real big deal, but it is a PITA. I do know that the guy knows enough not to overload the cases to dangerous pressures.

I might just burn up what's left in my other M1... it's a little more beat up than the one I was shooting this weekend.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:49:00 AM EDT
Basically you violated the basic rule of NEVER shooting anyone elses reloads!!!! Unless you were there to witness that person making each and every round and witnessing the history of each and every round of brass.. then ok... but never shoot anyone elses reloads.......
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:01:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:33:55 AM EDT
It's not just reloads that will separate. I witnessed a case head separtation at Bulletfest III when a co-worker was shooting Greek surplus .30 carbine in an M-2 Carbine. He took hot powder residue, hot grease and wood splinters to his face. Always wear eye protection. He was.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:49:08 AM EDT
Well yeah... shame on my for firing someone else's loads. I've still got maybe 80-100 rounds of it left, but since he said the brass is old (and the bullets are those 147gr surplus that aren't really worth anything to me), I could just pull it all and throw away the components.

When it happened, it went off normally, no backlash or explosion or excessive smoke or anything. It didn't rupture when it was fired, it looks more like the case head ripped off when it was being extracted.

Once I get the case out, I think I'll need to inspect the chamber thoroughly... maybe it was a little rough, and in combination with weak brass....

We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:04:51 PM EDT
I had my 1st case separation in my M1A yesterday. I wrapped a patch around a nylon brush and ran it down the bore from muzzle end, the case remains popped right out ....... I didn't even have to push at all. I was shocked (and extremely) pleased at how easy it was to remove. Give it a shot - maybe you'll get lucky too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:16:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Markwhiz:
I had my 1st case separation in my M1A yesterday. I wrapped a patch around a nylon brush and ran it down the bore from muzzle end, the case remains popped right out ....... I didn't even have to push at all. I was shocked (and extremely) pleased at how easy it was to remove. Give it a shot - maybe you'll get lucky too.

I'll try that Mark. I was thinking, I might could try to gently jam my chamber brush up in there and yank it out. Hopefully it will contract a bit and be really loose. We'll see.

I'll probably still get a broken shell extractor, tho!

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:09:39 PM EDT
And I got it out. I didn't do the cleaning rod trick, I can't find my bag of cotton patches. I used the chamber brush/tool I have, and jammed it in there. Case came right out. Here she is:

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2003 6:12:28 PM EDT by Sukebe]
Good for you! Nice looking rifle as well.

Edited to add:

Your sling is on backwards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:47:51 AM EDT
Backwards AND inside-out. That hardware would tear hell out of your shoulder during a hike.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:31:15 AM EDT
My sling is backwards?? Like front to back or just buckle on the wrong side? Oh freaking well.

I always see people shooting their M1s with the clip on the front sling swivel so they can use the strap adjustments on the other end when using the sling around the arm trick. I've done it too. I don't really much care if it's 'wrong'. I don't hike with it. ;)

Sukebe, yeah, she's a looker. Dane Win VAR. Practically new dark olive park on EVERYTHING but the bolt. The bolt is almost in the white, so I've got to have it parked to match. The stock is a Boyds that I got on sale for like $80. Sanded it down in a lot of places because it was quite fat. Finished with BLO and a poly finish (yeah, I shouldn't have used poly, but it turned out nice).

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:06:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
My sling is backwards?? Like front to back or just buckle on the wrong side? Oh freaking well.

I always see people shooting their M1s with the clip on the front sling swivel so they can use the strap adjustments on the other end when using the sling around the arm trick. I've done it too.

They're doing it wrong. When using the web sling for shooting, the loop that goes around your upper arm is made with the clip end and tightened up with the keeper. Tension is adjusted with the compression clamp.

I'm not rying to be an A-hole. I understand that many people don't know how to install, use a web sling correctly. Just trying to help.
Top Top