Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 10:30:33 AM EDT
Hello one and all,

Went to the local toy show over the weekend and now I have a question . . .

One of the "regulars" -- a dealer that is -- had 10-12 really nice M-1 Carbines for sale.  This dealer has always had a very reputation and never sells "junk" -- almost always high quality items on his tables.  

I ask him "where did you get all the Carbines ?!?!?"  "Out of my vault" he says.

So . . .  does he "know something" about the possible importation of Carbines in the near future ? ? ? Why would he be selling these little gems now ? ? ?

Any ideas ? ? ?

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Why would he be selling these little gems now ? ? ?

To fund his underperforming 401K?

College money for his kids?

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#2]
cause he's probably getting a divorce or paying off debt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
ALL the carbines were USGI . . .

Prices from $550 to the high of $750 for a really nice looking Winchester . . .

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ALL the carbines were USGI . . .

Prices from $550 to the high of $750 for a really nice looking Winchester . . .

Fair price in today's market.  Almost a bargain.  

And rumors of carbines coming over have been floating around for twenty years.  Wishful thinking so far.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Read a rumor here on arfcom a couple of days ago that the CMP is talking about releasing carbines next year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]
CMP is going to have barreled M1 carbine receivers in the spring. That's according to Orest who runs the program. But not many.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hello one and all,

Went to the local toy show over the weekend and now I have a question . . .

One of the "regulars" -- a dealer that is -- had 10-12 really nice M-1 Carbines for sale.  This dealer has always had a very reputation and never sells "junk" -- almost always high quality items on his tables.  

I ask him "where did you get all the Carbines ?!?!?"  "Out of my vault" he says.

So . . .  does he "know something" about the possible importation of Carbines in the near future ? ? ? Why would he be selling these little gems now ? ? ?

Any ideas ? ? ?

I have more than an idea, I know the dealer. That would be Pat Jarvis, and I assume you were at the Westland Mall show?

He's been sitting on M1 Carbines for a long time, has a lot of parts, complete rifles and builds (he builds VERY good carbines, I have one). He also bought up a couple collections recently.

I don't know of any M1 Carbines due for importation, but I know Pat's got a bunch of them and you're right he's a good dealer.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wasn't there an e-mail floating around from CMP that there definitely wouldn't be any m1 carbines?

I think the current rumor is that they have some barrelled actions they will release in the spring.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Orest said stripped barreled receivers spring 06 but Knowing the CMP they won't be cheap If you don't have a stockpile of spare parts , bolt ,op-rod, stock set , trigger group misc parts etc etc  it could become more expensive to build a carbine from the CMP than to buy a complete one on the open market...

I'am betting right now the CMP is going to wan't $ 200 + for them.... at that you are looking at a $ 400-500+ piece together mixmaster carbine..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry swingset . . .

I was at the Medina County Fairgrounds show . . . .
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sorry swingset . . .

I was at the Medina County Fairgrounds show . . . .

It was probably still him, Pat goes to Medina almost every show too.

Did he have a whole bunch of milsurp bolt guns, in vertical racks and the carbines in between? White guy, about 5'11", dark hair, mid-40s'? If so, that's Pat.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#15]
i beleive he maybe refering to this open letter from the ATF

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/071205openletter.pdf
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Why is it the supply of USGI m1 carbines is so short? CMP had piles of garands for so long and I thought the carbine was massively outproduced over the garand?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
6.25 million carbines were made during WWII.  After the war both foreign (Howa of Japan, Erma of Germany, etc) and domestic (Plainfield, Universal, Iver Johnson etc) manufactured thousands more.  Commercial carbines pop up for cheap but the consensus is that they are not as desireable, durable, or reliable as USGI wartime ones.  (The Howas would be cool since only about a thousand were imported from Thailand when the Royal Thai Police sold them as surplus, they are supposed to have been imported with royal seal still intact).  

Where all the carbines are is the million dollar question over at the CMP forum.  Maybe countries that bought them after WWII still use them but phased out the Garand when mag fed battle rifles became widespread.  I have heard the Israel loves the 30 carbine round and have made a scaled down Galil chambered in it.  Other rumors also say there are tons of Carbines in the Phillipines, Vietnam and other countries that are turning to rust because by law, we cant reimport them.

CMP forums are also saying that the Carbine barrelled actions are just that, barrelled actions. No bolts, sights, trigger group, oprod etc.  I hope they at least have the gas assembly.  No word on barrel condition or exterior finish yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top