Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:33:13 PM EDT
I'm going to purchase a shorter barrel for my Remington 1100, 12 gauge. I'd like to hear any drawbacks or advantages of purchasing a cantilever barrel to mount an Eotech, Aimpoint or some other red-dot type sight. Would this be an OK setup? Since I'm in the market for a shorter barrel, I thought it might be better to buy one with a cantilever instead of having the receiver drilled and a picatinny rail installed. Also, anyone ever seen an 1100 Remington that has been nickel-plated? My Dad took this gun in on a trade before he passed away last year, he had a small gunshop here in Arkansas. ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 9:26:27 AM EDT by CFFUTS23]
I'm currently hunting deer in New England with an 870 Synthetic Super Slug with a Cantilever barrel. They don't offer this model in an 870 anymore, but the Sportsman 11-87 is the equivalent in the autoloader.

I've got a Bushnell Trophy Red dot that I purchased from Cabelas and it works very well. While I also own a EOTech for my AR, I don't think you have to spend that much money on a hunting shotgun. Yes, I use my AR, but my 870/Bushnell combo gets a lot more beat up so I wanted a cheaper scope in case I drop it from a tree stand, etc.

Quick tip with any red dot is to sight it in every time you drop the gun. I missed a good buck last year after breaking through some ice and knocking the gun pretty hard against some ice. The electronics are somewhat sensitive and I learned this the hard way.

Finally, I'm sure someone could nickel-plate your gun but why? You wouldn't want to nickel plate a hunting weapon and if you really wanted one you could buy a Remington Marine
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:37:23 PM EDT
CFFUTS23, thanks for the reply and info. The gun is already nickel-plated, it was taken in by my dad on a trade a few years ago. I'm not going to hunt with the gun, I just wanted to "tacticalize"(I'm not sure it can be with that nice shiny nickel plate on it) it and I've already decided to have the 30 inch barrel cut-down to 20 inches. The gun was free to me so I figured I'd accessorize it, since it already has some serious "bling-bling" going on with the nickel plate. I look at it this way, it's not going to rust!! Anyway, after I get 'er done I'll post some pics. ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:47:22 PM EDT
My barrel with the cant. mount is fully rifled and uses the sabot slugs. Does anyone make that barrel in smooth bore or with removable choke?

R.
Top Top