Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/18/2002 3:54:34 PM EST
I called up the law enforcement division of the NC Attorney General's Office in Raleigh, NC today to ask them a question about trading handguns.

I specifically asked if the two people trading the two guns being traded -already bought once with needed pistol purchase permits- (ppp),needed new ppps to trade them. These permits are issued by the sheriff after a background check.

Of course! the man replied. You have to go through all the crap of getting another ppp again just to trade the guns.

Mr. Brown has a Glock 17 9x19 handgun. Mr. Jones has a Browning Buckmark .22 handgun. Mr. Brown wants to trade Mr. Jones handguns. Mr. Jones needs a powerful handgun to protect his store with and Mr. Brown needs a .22 to legally dispatch the muskrats he traps. Both guns were bought over the counter with pistol purchase permits by the men. However, they need to go back and get 2 new ppps to trade their guns between them. STUPID ISN'T IT?

Oh well. CRC
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:56:20 PM EST
Another step closer.

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:05:56 PM EST
This is what I do when I get pistol permits here in NC. The Sheriff of the county where I live allows you to get up to 3 permits on one background check. So, I go ahead and get 3 permits. The permits are good for 5 years. Before I used up the permits, I get 3 more. If I see a handgun that I want, I don't have any problems! The permits are even good for long guns. If the NICS system is down, you can use a permit and not have to go through NICS system.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:06:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:18:40 PM EST
Vulcan,

What county is that? I live in Buncombe (Asheville).

CRC
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:22:40 PM EST
CRC, I live down by the coast in Columbus county. From my house to N. Myrtle Beach, SC is only a 30 min. drive.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:36:52 PM EST
Think you've got it bad. Here in NY my wife cannot shoot my handgun unless she has it on her permit. Takes 7-10 days. You have to go into the county and apply then go back when the judge approves it to have it typed on your permit. Not legal for anyone to handle a handgun unless it's listed on their permit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:40:44 PM EST
ger42, Damn! That sounds like a very good reason to move to NC!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:56:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By CRC:
I called up the law enforcement division of the NC Attorney General's <snip>
I specifically asked if the two people trading the two guns being traded -already bought once with needed pistol purchase permits- (ppp),needed new ppps to trade them. <snip>
Of course! the man replied.

And you were expecting what answer?
Personally I wouldn't even have asked. Ignore that B.S.!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:41:54 PM EST
DO what I did - move to Free Carolina.

Class 3 legal, and NO requirements whatsoever on private party handgun transfers.

CRC -

I used to live up in Asheville - in the Oakley section, over behind Home Depot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:55:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By CRC:
Vulcan,

What county is that? I live in Buncombe (Asheville).

CRC

Howdy neighbor!!! Haywood County here, 5 permits at a time no problem!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:06:20 PM EST
CRC, they were wrong.
To BUY a pistol at a gun store, you have to give the store a permit (which I believe that the seller sends back to the sherriff).
To buy one from a private party, it is up to the seller to ASK if you have a permit, but you DON'T surrender the permit to the seller.
You CAN buy a pistol from a private party without a permit, if the seller wants to.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:23:14 PM EST
Here in Indiana a few years ago, if you were to sell a handgun, you had to go to a dealer and have it transfered to the buyer and pay a transfer fee. Now they are treated the same as any other long gun, with private sales now being legal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:49:28 PM EST
Garandman,

I live out 74-A. I know where you are talking about. I knew people from school who live in Oakley. The only bad things about A-ville is a lack of AR-15 supplies and a total lack of public shooting ranges. My dad and mom lived in SC ("The Free Carolina") back in the late 70's (Columbia to be specific). CRC
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:50:21 PM EST
A note that comes with your "permit" states that you are Not to sell the gun, unless the buyer has a "permit " from his/her county of residence.
(Davidson Co.-"LONG LIVE SHERIFF HEGE")
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:05:16 PM EST
Gaston County here. IIRC you can get 5 permits at a time. What I like about NC is open carry. That way ya don't have to pay those stupid fees to carry CCW.

That reminds me. I only have 1 permit left. Gotta get some more
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:04:37 PM EST
Glad you said that Caveman...Greensboro G-Show coming up at the end of Aug. need to get "Permits"
Top Top