Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 8:44:04 PM EDT
Does anyone see anything wrong with refurbishing C&R rifles?

I don't mean bubaizing, but for guns that are real beaters, to the point where the can almost not function safetly, and they have no real collector marks/qualities. Do you see anything wrong with that?

For example: You get one of those Russian captured K98s and it has no marking on it. The bore is gone or heavily pitted and the stock is heavily beaten and possibly chipping. Do you see anything wrong with getting a new barrel, rebluing everything, stripping the stock and refinihsing it so you have a fresh shooter?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see anything wrong with it. Beater Mausers go for cheap but you could spend alot more fixing it up than it might be worth. A Mauser in real nice shape isn't that expensive. I've got a 1934 Mosin that has minimal blue, the stock is pretty beat and it's just downright ugly. I won't spend any time fixing it up because I think it has character plus I can get one in very very nice shape from AIM for $69.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I know there are lots of suplus' out there for cheap, but I was just thinking of if I found a rifle I would want for cheap but it was in crap condition. Like if you found someone who had a rifle for $10 because it was just junk and you spent $30 to get the stuff to fix it up yourself. It would be cheaper than buying a new one, and in new quality condition (with C&Rs, newer quality doesn't always mean better )

I am so excited. I sent my application out on the first and the payment cleared on the sixth!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifles in that shape are what we look for to make a sporter out of. A 98k with a pitted barrel and pos stock is begging to be turned into something.
Restoring one back to original condition may seem like a good idea, but it won't be original. If you sell it someone may think you are trying to get to them. It won't be worth as much as one that is original.
Of course if you just like the original configuration then restore it and shoot the crap out of it.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am so excited. I sent my application out on the first and the payment cleared on the sixth!

Now the waiting begins. I think mine took 2 months after the payment cleared.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
i don't see anything wrong with restoring it or sporterizing it. if its restored its not going to be worth anywhere near what a original is at this time but that may change in the future. a few years ago british proofed usgi 1911's & 1911A1's were considered shooters & you could get them for a decent price, not anymore.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Restoring is never a problem.  It only becomes a sin when you start refinishing, such as sanding, removing dents, rebluing...all the things that take away the character of the firearm.  Getting the grit and grime out of the metal and wood then restoring the wood to its proper color and finish only gives the arm a new lease on life.  See this link for proper ways to make your tired old milsurp young again without destroying its history.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Restoring is never a problem.  It only becomes a sin when you start refinishing, such as sanding, removing dents, rebluing...all the things that take away the character of the firearm.  Getting the grit and grime out of the metal and wood then restoring the wood to its proper color and finish only gives the arm a new lease on life.  See this link for proper ways to make your tired old milsurp young again without destroying its history.

I was actually looking over that site the other day. Great info and I think it will come in handy when I try to do some 'repairs'. I think I want to try to make at least one stock by hand for one of my rifles. Not sure which yet, but I hope it's a Garand...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top