Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:31:03 AM EDT
Would M1 Garands and M1As be considered C&R (older than 50 years)?
What other popular firearms are considered C&R?

What kind of discounts do you get at stores like Midway and Brownells? Is it a percentage? How do they know you're a C&R collector?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:44:28 AM EDT
If my state requires obtaining purchase permits and pistol registration, do I need to do this with C&R pistols?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:26:03 AM EDT
M-1 carbines and rifles are considered "C&R" rifles. Must be G-I issue -- not current manufacture (Universal, Plainfield, and the new A-O/Kahr carbines are NOT C & R)

M-1A's and or M/14's are NOT C & R.

Brownell's and Midway -- and I'm sure there are others -- offer a very nice discounts to C & R holders. Send them a copy of your license, wait a few weeks and then send them and e-mail. Will respond with a password for their web-site. On the average my "discount" runs up to 25 on some items. My first order to Brownell's on my C&R more than covered the cost of the license ! !

As for handguns -- better check check with the local authorities, but have a feeling you gonna need their approval.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:47:55 AM EDT
Some states might require this. It was necessary here in Missouri prior to mid 1998. Check it out.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By metroplex:
If my state requires obtaining purchase permits and pistol registration, do I need to do this with C&R pistols?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 2:34:20 PM EDT by Big-Bore]
Midway, Brownells, Graf & Sons, and Wolff Gun Springs all have you fax or mail them a copy of your FFL. Some will allow you to e-mail them a copy; some don't if their e-mail does not accept attachments. Since you are not buying firearms with it from them they do not need an original signature. Wolff and G&S will set you up in the dealer program. Brownells and Midway you set yourself up and they switch your account to "dealer" once they receive your 03FFL. To see how much you save if you have a copy of the Brownells catalog look at the numbers to the left of the price and Midway does it pretty much the same way. It may be something like:

125xx89 and then the price of $175.95. Dealer price is 125.89. Sometimes the savings are huge, sometimes very small or none at all on some items that are not considered items for dealer resale, like a shop apron. Regardless, almost every order I place I save at least 10% of what the FFL costs. Over the three years of my first C&R I saved at least a thousand dollars from Brownells and Midway so it is worth having the C&R even if you don't use it to buy guns. I have not used my C&R yet to buy a firearm. The two C&R guns I bought during those 3 years were done on 4473s so my C&R license was not used (they still have to go in the bound book though).

A gun, no matter how old it is, is not a C&R until it is added to the C&R list. And, just because one gun is on the list does not mean all guns of that type are C&Rs. The original Armalite AR-15 is on the list, but it is the only AR-15 that qualifies. There are model 70 Winchesters on the list, but they must be in the serial number range listed as acceptable. Just because it is a M70 does not make it automatically a C&R. That list can be downloaded from the ATFE web site. If it's not on the list, it's not a C&R. If you have interest in a weapon you want C&Red you can petition the ATFE to add it to the list. All that information is in the Green Book, also available for download from the ATFE's web site.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:14:28 PM EDT
Lots of guns not on the C&R list are C&R.

Anything that is in original military configuration and over 50 years old is C&R even if it is not on the BATF list.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 6:26:44 PM EDT by Pthfndr]

Originally Posted By djenkins:
Lots of guns not on the C&R list are C&R.

Anything that is in original military configuration and over 50 years old is C&R even if it is not on the BATF list.

Dennis Jenkins

+1

Dennis is correct. The basic definition of a C&R firearm is that it be 50 years old or older. The BATF lists include firearms, either individual ones or a serial number range of a particular model, that are delcared C&R even though they are less than 50 years old. In addition, there are some firearms that are C&R but also fall under the NFA of 193?. Then there are some firearms the were under the NFA and have subsequently been removed from that classification by the BATF and are just normal C&R now.

The BATF updates the C&R lists every year or so, so it can pay off to read the revised addendums (available online also). Some pretty neat stuff is no longer NFA and may be legal in your state (nothing fun is legal in my state )

Just an example of a non 50 year old firearm that's C&R - The Colt Woodsman .22 semi auto pistols. Used to be only the ones 50 years and older were C&R. But the BATF has now listed ALL Colt Woodsman pistols as C&R. Right up to the end of production in the late 70's. That paid off for me on a recent trip to AZ.
Top Top