Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 1:59:07 PM EDT
For those of you who have a C&R FFL for purchasing NFA weapons such as we have to have here in Missouri, I need a question answered. When your C&R gets close to its expiration date does BATFE send out a renewal notice? Or does a person have to file for a new C&R? What is the typical protocol for renewal? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For those of you who have a C&R FFL for purchasing NFA weapons such as we have to have here in Missouri, I need a question answered. When your C&R gets close to its expiration date does BATFE send out a renewal notice? Or does a person have to file for a new C&R? What is the typical protocol for renewal? Thanks guys.

I have a C&R and am in MO.  The ATF generates a renewal application notice and mails it to you .. fill it out and enclose a check/MO for $30 and return mail it.  Don't forget to mail a copy to the CLEO.  

Very simple ..
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope it is as simple as that and that the BATFE sends out the renewel to me before it expires January of 2010. I will be sending in Form 4's for a couple suppressors coming in next week and I am hoping that I do not run into any snags with my C&R expiring.

ds762 have you renewed your C&R yet? And if you have do you remember how many weeks/months prior to your expiration that you received your renewel?

Does anybody know if there is anything that I can do prior to assure that I do not run into any snags with my C&R expiring?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I renewed my CR this year. They sent the form and I mailed it out with check ASAP. This was two months prior to renewal, check was processed and I did nothing for two months. On the last day before it expired  I look at my form and noticed I filled in an answer wrong. (Stupid mistake) I called and talked to the agent in charge of my case. I ask him if my renewal was being held because my answer was incorrect. Turn out they had lost my form. Found my form, corrected answer, and in thirty minutes processed my background check with no loss of CR. This was done on a Friday, late afternoon with no time left and I received my FFL on Tuesday of the next week dated on the renewal date. After this experience , This is what I learned.
1  If your check is processed you are in the system. This I believe is the best indicator, after all they lost my form.
1  BE Civil. After you get by the front office, they are as nice to you as you are to them.
2  Do not wait till the last minute to call, if this happens again I will call a week or so before if it is not sent to me.
3. They handle ALL forms by HAND and do misplaced forms. This last year they processed the most license request than ever before. My form was in a box next to the trash can.
4  IF THEY DO NOT PROCESS YOU FORM IN A TIMELY MATTER BECAUSE OF THEIR FAULT THEY WILL NOTIFY, IF YOU REQUEST,  THE PROPER AUTHORITIES NEEDED AND DATE YOUR FFL BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE.

Typical timing for renewal notice is about two months ahead. As noted above you must request that they notify!
I do not need mine for the Class III I own, but I think this will answer your questions.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hope it is as simple as that and that the BATFE sends out the renewel to me before it expires January of 2010. I will be sending in Form 4's for a couple suppressors coming in next week and I am hoping that I do not run into any snags with my C&R expiring.

ds762 have you renewed your C&R yet? And if you have do you remember how many weeks/months prior to your expiration that you received your renewel?

Does anybody know if there is anything that I can do prior to assure that I do not run into any snags with my C&R expiring?

Thanks

I just got the renewal notice last week and turned it around the same day.  I'm not due to expire till Oct.  .. the check has already cleared the bank .. its all good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top