Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2016 2:34:13 AM EDT
Looking at a few monocore designs on various websites, it looks like some people chalked up a piece of solid aluminum and drilled the appropriate diameter hole down the middle, and several larger holes basically criss-crossing through the middle.

I know nothing about using a lathe, or machining, and I imagine most if not all of the monocore baffle designs were machined.

But can you use a drill press with a round aluminum rod snugged up in a vice? Or would a drill press be too inaccurate?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
For overbore and concentric, I've thought about a overbore barrel blank, like a 6.5(.264) for 22cal monocore. Not sure if rifling would play any kind of effect on suppression or POI shift. One of those things us Form 1 guys can't test easily.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something similar to this build?

You absolutely could do the baffles with a drill press. Getting the bore concentric would be the issue. Most people would try to drill the bore first, and then have the whole piece turned down so that the outside was concentric to the bore.

Or maybe buy something like this and then have a tube machined to fit it. Here is a larger version.

I do actually have a couple of items like this that I use as fake cans on builds where the barrel is recessed, on those rare instances I want to shoot unsuppressed. It could be a starting point.  

While searching for those, I ran across this...which sure seems like a way to invite the ATF into your life.
View Quote

The last item is interesting, ships from Russia is a clubfed bonus. With matching stamp in hand would this even be legal coming in from overseas???  The answer seems to be no as you are importing a "firearm".

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

For overbore and concentric, I've thought about a overbore barrel blank, like a 6.5(.264) for 22cal monocore. Not sure if rifling would play any kind of effect on suppression or POI shift. One of those things us Form 1 guys can't test easily.
View Quote
That is actually a great idea.

If you are going to try to bore lengthwise with a drill press, I can practically guarantee you that your bit will wander and come out the other side off-center. I'm pretty sure that you could swiss-cheese the side of the baffle with a drill press without any problems.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
This is job for a mill, not a drill press. Why is it people who want to build form1 cans are always looking to skip the proper steps?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
^^^^

Simple. Mills cost money and time to learn to use properly. Not everyone is a machinist. More has been done with less. So to answer the question, yes it can be done, ideal process, no. Maybe I should build one with no power tools....think I can chisel a monocore?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is job for a mill, not a drill press. Why is it people who want to build form1 cans are always looking to skip the proper steps?
View Quote

They don't have mills?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You could drill the rifling out of a barrel blank if you wanted. The drill will follow the bore. I have thought about drilling cross holes and drilling the rifling out in a 10-22 bull barrel to to do a form 1 integral. Slide a tube over the barrel and presto. I just haven't convinced myself that it would suppress well enough to be worth my time and money.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm getting ready to do this myself. I been thinking about it for a while but just got a good deal on a 16in stainless 10/22 bull barrel and I just bought a titanium tube off ebay. Plan on having the barrel turned down a little and milling some slanted or v shaped slotts and opening the bore up in the last 8 in of barrel. Slide the tube over it and use the thread protector that came with the barrel to secure the tube. I read where someone else did this and was very happy with the results.

James

Quoted:
You could drill the rifling out of a barrel blank if you wanted. The drill will follow the bore. I have thought about drilling cross holes and drilling the rifling out in a 10-22 bull barrel to to do a form 1 integral. Slide a tube over the barrel and presto. I just haven't convinced myself that it would suppress well enough to be worth my time and money.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to do this myself. I been thinking about it for a while but just got a good deal on a 16in stainless 10/22 bull barrel and I just bought a titanium tube off ebay. Plan on having the barrel turned down a little and milling some slanted or v shaped slotts and opening the bore up in the last 8 in of barrel. Slide the tube over it and use the thread protector that came with the barrel to secure the tube. I read where someone else did this and was very happy with the results.

James

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

James

Quoted:

Sounds pretty much like what I thought of trying. I was going to get an extended length drill and leave the rifled portion of the barrel somewhere around 4-5", making the suppressor portion somewhere around 11-12" on a 16" barrel or 13"-14" on an 18" barrel. If you get it to completion I would really like to hear how it works out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Why couldn't you buy a muzzle brake like this one and cut to length?

muzzle brake
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
at this point it looks like people are spending more on a DIY suppressor than just buying a off the shelf manufactured one lol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The last item is interesting, ships from Russia is a clubfed bonus. With matching stamp in hand would this even be legal coming in from overseas???  The answer seems to be no as you are importing a "firearm".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something similar to this build?

You absolutely could do the baffles with a drill press. Getting the bore concentric would be the issue. Most people would try to drill the bore first, and then have the whole piece turned down so that the outside was concentric to the bore.

Or maybe buy something like this and then have a tube machined to fit it. Here is a larger version.

I do actually have a couple of items like this that I use as fake cans on builds where the barrel is recessed, on those rare instances I want to shoot unsuppressed. It could be a starting point.  

While searching for those, I ran across this...which sure seems like a way to invite the ATF into your life.

Looks like a nice paperweight to me.. I would invite the ATF to try to shoot through it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top