Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 10:44:46 AM EDT
I know this will sound strange but I like the color and configuration of the stock sl8. So far, the only thing I don't like about this rifle is that it doesn't cool down very fast and holds the heat on the barrel even after light shooting. I tried drilling some holes in the stock handguard but it doesn't cut it. I took the plunge and bought a g36 handguard. Can I dye it from black to something that might come close to the sl8 color?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
i beleive going darker is the only way to go.

not the other way around.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
going darker is the only way to go.

Yup, Once you go black you will never go back
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Any other suggestions besides krylon?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any other suggestions besides krylon?

well i was gonna say krylon, but you smacked me down first

i thought there was something some of the guys were using to paint plastic, i am sure brasspile could do it for you
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
You could try the Krylon paint formulated to work with plastics.  It is supposed to hold up good since it bonds with the plastic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#6]
don't ruin it with spray paint man!!!!!!!

boiling water and RIT liquid black dye in a big plastic tub for a couple of hours(seal the bore if dying the receiver), that's the way to go. If not dark enough on the first attempt, do it again, it will become blacker than james earl jones and will not scrape off or chip - it penetrates the outer layers of the polymer. permanent though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I am trying to make a black g36 forearm match the furniture of a stock sl8. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top