Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 1:55:00 AM EDT
I like the Shockwave and Tac-14, but can a semi-auto be built with a birds head grip and 14" barrel?

The problem I see is the action tube (or whatever you call it) in the stock of most semi-autos. It doesn't allow for a small handgrip.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
No clue since the Shockwave sadly is illegal in the land of Texas cause of some old ass BS law. I would love to have one just for the hell of it yet can't because of some BS law.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure, if you can find a semi that never had a stock attached. For it to be legal, the shotgun had to start out never having had a stock, ie pistol grip only.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure, if you can find a semi that never had a stock attached. For it to be legal, the shotgun had to start out never having had a stock, ie pistol grip only.
View Quote
I was referring to an out-of-the-factory shotgun like the Shockwave, but in semi-auto. How would you get past that long action tube in the stock? It seems most all semi-autos have this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Mossberg 9200 and stoeger 2000 I believe
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No clue since the Shockwave sadly is illegal in the land of Texas cause of some old ass BS law. I would love to have one just for the hell of it yet can't because of some BS law.
View Quote
In 13 days you can.  You always could, but in 13 days you definitely can.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was referring to an out-of-the-factory shotgun like the Shockwave, but in semi-auto. How would you get past that long action tube in the stock? It seems most all semi-autos have this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put a KAK Shockwave on it, cause you know you want a shockwave for your shockwave.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Law changes Sep 1.  FO time for the shockwave in Texas. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
well on Sept 1 2017 run to your local gun store and buy or order as many as you want..
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like the Shockwave and Tac-14, but can a semi-auto be built with a birds head grip and 14" barrel?

The problem I see is the action tube (or whatever you call it) in the stock of most semi-autos. It doesn't allow for a small handgrip.
View Quote
The Stoeger M3000 and M3500 do not the spring tube in the stock. You'll not find a factory pistol grip (or a never built receiver) for these so you'd have to go the NFA to build one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Stoeger M3000 and M3500 do not the spring tube in the stock. You'll not find a factory pistol grip (or a never built receiver) for these so you'd have to go the NFA to build one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just keep an 18" barrel
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Would an inertia gun even cycle reliably without the shoulder stock to stop the rearward inertia of the entire gun. I'm brainstorming but I am imaging a 1911 being limp wristed will be the outcome a malfunctioning shotgun in the end.. Maybe I'm wrong as I am only guessing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Would an inertia gun even cycle reliably without the shoulder stock to stop the rearward inertia of the entire gun. I'm brainstorming but I am imaging a 1911 being limp wristed will be the outcome a malfunctioning shotgun in the end.. Maybe I'm wrong as I am only guessing.
View Quote
Easy test, fire one from the hip, if it cycles, then the stock isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
True that would save some time. I don't have one so I have no idea I was just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Something like a Sage Sidewinder with a shockwave grip would be neat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread got me to looking at my old Saiga 20 gauge.  I converted it years ago to a pistol grip and Ace folding stock configuration.

If I had replaced the receiver, got the original trigger guard riveted onto the new receiver, and fabricated a shockwave style bird's head grip for it, it would be amusing.

I might have to take some measurements later today.  If nothing else, it would make a good movie gun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
A birds head saiga or vepr would look goofy. I think a good goofy lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Sarco has clearance Price virgin Browning A5 receivers.  for those wanting a virgin "firearm" a5 receiver host.

Sarco Virgin Browning A5 receivers for "firearm" host
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#18]
A base Browning A5 AUTO in 12- or 20-gauge should do. Inertia driven, no gas to regulate.

Clyde Barrow called the one he chopped down his "Whippet," ... as in "whip it out," which he did from under his overcoat when robbing banks and killing cops.  

Clyde's Whippet sported something like a 12" or 14" barrel, if I recall correctly, possibly shorter. He never complained of reliability issues, ... nor did Bonnie for that matter.  Wicked little bitch, that one.

Then they died.        

But Clyde's Whippet was still GTG.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A base Browning A5 AUTO in 12- or 20-gauge should do. Inertia driven, no gas to regulate.

Clyde Barrow called the one he chopped down his "Whippet," ... as in "whip it out," which he did from under his overcoat when robbing banks and killing cops.  

Clyde's Whippet sported something like a 12" or 14" barrel, if I recall correctly, possibly shorter. He never complained of reliability issues, ... nor did Bonnie for that matter.  Wicked little bitch, that one.

Then they died.        

But Clyde's Whippet was still GTG.
View Quote
The Auto 5 still has a recoil spring tube coming out of the back of the receiver. The tube is not as long as the 1100 or some other guns, but its still a longer grip than the “Shockwave” the OP was hoping for. That Auto 5 Whippet is still pretty cool though...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 590A1 AOW bought as a virgin receiver from Mossburg.

Everything I've researched shows the same conclusion.  Adding a pistol grip to a virgin receiver makes it a AOW.  Adding a 'shockwave' grip is not a pistol grip and makes the firearm over 26" making it not a AOW.

So for everyone saying 'PGO' or 'just add a pistol grip' is recommending NFA violations.

Here is what a non-stock A5 firearm would look like:

Verus the SBS version:

I'll take the SBS any day of the week over the 'firearm' abortion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]
That sbs is sexy
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the SBS version:

http://jggunsmith.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/sav_auto_sbs_blued02.jpg

I'll take the SBS any day of the week over the 'firearm' abortion.
View Quote
What's the barrel length on that SBS? ... That set up right there is what I've got in mind for my 20ga A5.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The new Remington V3 semi auto also has no spring tube in the stock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Doing some research...

The 1981 sci-fi movie Outland had semi-auto shotguns with sawed off stocks and short barrels. They used Browning 2000s.

Outland movie

scene from the movie

The closest you can get now is a simliar shotgun with an 18 inch barrel, unless Remington or  Stoeger will make a "Tac-14"-like semi-auto.

eta - one more scene showing the shotguns.
Someone mixed in scenes from Alien in the video, but you can see the cool shotguns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sarco has clearance Price virgin Browning A5 receivers.  for those wanting a virgin "firearm" a5 receiver host.

Sarco Virgin Browning A5 receivers for "firearm" host
View Quote
Has anyone been able to verify those are virgin receivers and not disassembled?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
As they are not final finished yet (need sanding and polishing) I suspect they are virgin.  A call to Sarco may be worth while.

Can Remington model 11 parts be made to fit??
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As they are not final finished yet (need sanding and polishing) I suspect they are virgin.  A call to Sarco may be worth while.

Can Remington model 11 parts be made to fit??
View Quote
I don't think Sarco would know, but Browning might. I've been considering one myself but haven't decided.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top