Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2002 5:24:45 AM EDT
Does anyone know if a S&W K38 can use 38 Special +P ammo ? The barrel is a 6 inch marked 38 Special and was made in the late 70's. I'm not sure if it could handle the higher power
38 special +P ammo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If it was made when you said it was then it should handle +P with no problem.  Just curious, what model is it?

Marty

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W states that +P ammo should be limited to .38 Special revolvers made after they started giving model numbers (about 1956).

Assuming that the model number is marked on the yoke (underneath the cylinder crane) of your revolver, there should be no problem.  Your model number should be 14.

A Model 14 is a very strong revolver and should have no problem with +P or even +P+ rounds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
It's actually a friend of mine who is letting me borrow it. The model number is 14-4 with the 6" barrel with a adjustable rear sight. It is a very fine shooter. I thought it could handle +P without a problem. Didn't S&W chamber the K frames in .357 ?

My wife likes to shoot the K38, so I thought that a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel might work out well. She and I could plink with .38 and I would hunt with .357 Magnum. My Winchester 94 Legacy is chambered in .357 Magnum so it would be nice to have them in the same caliber.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a S&W model 36 (bought in 82) with thousands of rounds of +p through it. That K frame of yours is a whole lot stronger then this tiny J frame. It will take far more punishment.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
absolutely.

i have a combat masterpiece k38 and a 10-5 and i have shot hundreds of +p through them with no problems.
s&w's are great guns and can handle the pressure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top