Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2014 4:40:15 PM EDT
I'm a little confused about the law. I was under the impression that only a person on the Form 3/trust/corporation is allowed "constructive possession" of the suppressor. That was said to include borrowing under owner supervision.

There are lots of people here saying "come hang out and try my can". Am I wrong or is that a felony? Sure, there may be no one to ask questions on 50 acres of private property, but...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're present you can let anybody use your nfa stuff. Constructive possession only applies to having the parts to illegally assemble an nfa item.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Just think about all of the machine gun shoots, ranges that rent machine guns etc.  If it was illegal, those wouldn't be around long.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just think about all of the machine gun shoots, ranges that rent machine guns etc.  If it was illegal, those wouldn't be around long.
View Quote

I just supposed a registered FFL dealer had additional rights to rent items. I have been under the impression the point of a trust is so you can share with the people around you. I guess I misunderstood and got a trust for nothing. Crap. I could have saved $200.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just supposed a registered FFL dealer had additional rights to rent items. I have been under the impression the point of a trust is so you can share with the people around you. I guess I misunderstood and got a trust for nothing. Crap. I could have saved $200.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My trust allows others on my trust, such as my brother, father, wife and eventually children to have possession of any of my Title II stuff without me needing to be present.  Like now, my dad uses items on the trust at matches, and can do so without me needing to be there.

Also the trust allows you to eFile, for now it also eliminates the need for photos, fingerprints and CLEO signoff.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My trust allows others on my trust, such as my brother, father, wife and eventually children to have possession of any of my Title II stuff without me needing to be present.  Like now, my dad uses items on the trust at matches, and can do so without me needing to be there.

Also the trust allows you to eFile, for now it also eliminates the need for photos, fingerprints and CLEO signoff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 (pending any ATF rulings on trusts...) they are absolutely the way to go and offer some great benefits. Your $200 was wisely spent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A trust is so other people listed as Trustee's can use your nfa items without you being present. Example, your dad is listed on your trust. He can go hunting with your NFA item without you. You can be sitting at home watching a football game.

Otherwise, you would need to be present with him when he uses it. In the example above, you would need to be out hunting with him walking right behind him.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That clears it up. Thanks guys. I better buy the few more I want while my trust is still effective (prior to potential 41P changes).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top