Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/21/2008 3:28:36 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking at my options for a AR10 suppressor, and was wondering how much a companies warranty should sway me. This will be going on a Noveske upper, and I don't *intend* on having any problems, but still, plan for the worst, right?

I've been considering cans from YHM, Ops, and Gemtech, but I haven't come up with anything solid. Ops has a 2 year warrenty. YHM has a lifetime. How much should this all matter to me?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:52:46 AM EDT
Ony warranty issues I can see is if there is a baffle strike and its PROVED to be the threads on the suppressor.

Most companies will not warrant a suppressor when used on a barrel that they do not thread.

Keep that in mind.

When it comes to warranty they are nice to have but never really used. With the new rulings in place for replacement cans the warranty really doesn't apply anymore. Like some companies would destroy it and simply replace the can with the same serial number on a brandy new can, but now they can't.

If you are starting with a Noveske upper and a YHM Phantom 7.62 can I don't think you will EVER need to call on the warranty. Noveske is top-notch and you won't have to worry about baffle strikes with their barrels.

With your situation I would not realy hinge things on the warranty.

Personally I would go with a YHM Phantom, they are nice and quiet and compare nicely with the competitors. Besides with all the money you are saving with the YHM you can afford ammo!

-TS
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 9:44:20 AM EDT by DevL]
It is my opinion that there is going to be bad ammo out there from almost any manufacturer though its extremely rare to occur. If you shoot enough rounds you will get a baffle strike. It is an inevitability in my mind. I would contact each manufacturer and ask them what would happen if you had a baffle strike from a bad round of ammo, what would be done, and how much would a repair cost inside and outside the warranty time frame? Once you have specific answers to your question you will have a better idea of what that company's warranty is worth to you.

Previous to the new rulings on repair, I have heard of Ops Inc, Gemtech, and AAC cans that had a bad round yaw and cause baffle strikes with Black Hills, Winchester Q3131A, and Monarch 55 grain ammo in barrels that should have easily had enough twist and length to stabilise those bullets. All 3 companies took care of the customer and repaired the can for free... this is a rare occurance but since bad bullets exist its a mathmatic certainty that if you shoot enough you will experience a strike. Its like playing the lottery.

For example if company A says that if it occurs within 2 years its a free repair but afterwards it is not covered, company B says its a lifetime 50% cost of the suppressor plus a new $200 tax and company C says such an occurance is not covered you will at least have an idea of what a worst case scenario provides you.

Manufacturer defects will most certainly be covered and discovered by anyone the first year. Past that your concern should be baffle strikes caused by bad ammo... you should also keep in mind what the manufacturer of the ammo is going to do if you suffer a baffle strike... someone like Black Hills is likely to help you if their ammo is at fault... good luck getting help from someone like Wolf.
Top Top