Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 11/15/2012 5:13:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/15/2012 5:13:25 PM EST by D-RAS03]
I looked through the faqs but didn't see it. Can I just cut the barrel of my AR down or do I have to buy an upper? Would it be a bad idea to have the barrel cut down? Only have one AR at the moment. Also does it go by upper or lower being registered? Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:26:19 PM EST
I don't know about cutting the barrel and all that stuff.... But I do know that the lower ––even a stripped lower–– is considered to be the gun, it has the serial number on it, requires a FFL dealer to transfer it or receive it if you mail order one.

Everything else is considered "parts" and does not require an FFL dealer to buy - sell - ship - receive. Of course, other laws may apply but no FFL is needed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:04:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
I looked through the faqs but didn't see it. Can I just cut the barrel of my AR down or do I have to buy an upper? Would it be a bad idea to have the barrel cut down? Only have one AR at the moment. Also does it go by upper or lower being registered? Thanks guys

You first fill out a form 1 to register your LOWER as a SBR. Send that in with money and wait about 6 months. Then when your stamp comes back, you get your lower engraved accordingly, and then cut your barrel down or buy one already short, or buy a complete upper already short.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:12:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By sanman28:

You first fill out a form 1 to register your LOWER as a SBR. Send that in with money and wait about 6 months. Then when your stamp comes back, you get your lower engraved accordingly, and then cut your barrel down or buy one already short, or buy a complete upper already short.

Thanks. So I could own a couple uppers as long as they are only on my registered lower?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:39:15 PM EST
Register your lower.
Keep your 16 upper.
Buy a factory sbr upper, or factory length sbr barrel and buy the receiver and rail of your choice.

You can then swap the uppers to what fits your needs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:41:39 PM EST

Thanks. So I could own a couple uppers as long as they are only on my registered lower?

That can get a bit sketchy, and while technically yes, an overzealous ATF or IRS agent could really ruin your life

Basically, it boils down to whether or not there is "constructive intent" or not.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:50:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By cop1211:
Register your lower.
Keep your 16 upper.
Buy a factory sbr upper, or factory length sbr barrel and buy the receiver and rail of your choice.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:12:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Saladman:

That can get a bit sketchy, and while technically yes, an overzealous ATF or IRS agent could really ruin your life

Basically, it boils down to whether or not there is "constructive intent" or not.

Do you mean they want one upper to one lower? No multiples to one lower? This will be my first stamp so I don't want to fu*k it up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:17:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By BRADLEYBUILT:
Register your lower.
Keep your 16 upper.

Thanks guys. Is there a reason not cut my barrel down other than just having it? I have been looking at some 10.3" uppers to get.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:28:40 PM EST
If its a carbine gas system (7") you "COULD" cut it down if you wanted too. Gas port might take some work for full reliability but its possible. If its a middy as god intended for 16" ar's then no you cant very easily cut it down.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:45:51 PM EST
I am considering just rebarrel my 16" ar to a 11.5". I might pick up another upper not sure yet. I still have to do the paper work and wait while I think about it.

MAHA
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:34:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Saladman:

The correct term is "constructive possession." Intent has nothing to do with it. You have all the components needed, so therefore you have a SBR.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 1:21:11 PM EST
1. You can have as many uppers for your SBR lower as you want.

2. You can have a sub16" upper in your possession, but consider having a legal configuration for it prior to your tax stamp arrival. A good choice would be to get a stripped lower and build it as a pistol prior to getting your upper for function testing. Or just get an AR pistol for the mean time and when the stamp comes back, sell the pistol lower.

3. When doing a Form 1 SBR you'll fill out 2 copies of 5320.1 front and back, 2 fingerprint cards from your local PD, get the Sheriff's signature on both Form 1s, and passport photos on each F1. $200 check. Using a Trust will alleviate the CLEO signature, fingerprint cards, and photos.

Wait.

Wait more.

Wait even more.

May 2013 comes. Get stamp. Shoot SBR to your heart's content.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:30:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By BRADLEYBUILT:
Register your lower.
Keep your 16 upper.

Thanks guys. Is there a reason not cut my barrel down other than just having it? I have been looking at some 10.3" uppers to get.

If you have a carbine length gas system you could just cut the barrel down. I did that to one of my uppers. If you have a midlength gas system, no I do not think that will work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:01:24 AM EST
Thanks for all the helps guys. I decided to just build one. I have been looking at a 10.3" Daniel defense upper and a Aero Precision lower. Figured I could use a second rifle. If ya have any other helpful things I'm all ears. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:12:00 AM EST
After your paperwork is done you can just cut you barrel is you short on funds. Have adco do it that way you know our gas port will be he right diameter. Or you could buy just a barrel aim had 10.3 Daniel defense barrels for 239$ shipped.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:57:22 AM EST
Engrave your lower before you send in your paperwork. If something happens to the lower during the engraving process you are fucked.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:48:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By flyingjibus:
Engrave your lower before you send in your paperwork. If something happens to the lower during the engraving process you are fucked.

What do you mean? I was under the impression they told you what to engrave.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:13 PM EST
Just change the barrel. Dont cut! If you list you barrel or upper for trade for a pistol barrel or upper youll find a trade. Thats what i did.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:18:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By gabeowp:
Just change the barrel. Dont cut! If you list you barrel or upper for trade for a pistol barrel or upper youll find a trade. Thats what i did.

Yeah I changed my mind. I'm getting a 10.3" Daniel defense upper. I'm just going to piece a whole rifle together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:08:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By gabeowp:

Yeah I changed my mind. I'm getting a 10.3" Daniel defense upper. I'm just going to piece a whole rifle together.

Aim has it for 239$. Also on a form one its your first initial last name and city and state.

J. Doe
Dallas, tx
Top Top