Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 7:24:42 AM EDT
Recently picked up a bunch of this 223 at the range.

Will the dent cause pressure problems or weakness in the brass, or just fire form itself to the chamber size?

Anybody know what rifle would cause this when ejecting?

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It will be ironed out when they are fired again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Should be just fine to reload .
I reload it all the time and have never had any problems.     That is normally caused by the brass hitting the slide on the way out when shooting a Mini 14

My brother shoots a Mini 14 and all his brass looks like that when he shoots.    May be some one else has a better answer for the cause..    But as far as reloading it , it reloads and shoots just fine..
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Ha!  You'd crap yourself if you saw some of the brass I've brought back to life.  That little dent isn't even worth a second thought.  Fire form it, and move on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Its fine, but since it came from the range you have no idea how many times it has been fired.

That dent is caused by the shells hitting the frame as they eject, most ar platforms do this to the brass.  Ak's do it to and many other semi auto's.

Make sure it isnt pierced and reload it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ha!  You'd crap yourself if you saw some of the brass I've brought back to life.  That little dent isn't even worth a second thought.  Fire form it, and move on.

Agreed!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Ehhh just reload and shoot those. For 223.556 brass I usually cull the ones that have the primer crimp removed, if the crimp isn't there I have no clue how many times it has been reloaded so I just scrap them. Safer that way.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If it has been reloaded,it will usually have resize markings on the neck and sometimes on the case body!Most reloaders dont tumble their brass enough to remove the resize markings!If it has any markings that makes it look like it has been reloaded I would scrap it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Best rule-of-thumb is probably; when in doubt, throw 'em out.

But, as said above, most dents usually aren't a big deal. Cracks, splits, punctures, loose primer pockets - big deal. Personally, I wouldn't pick up someone else's belted magnum brass because, when used-up, they tend to separate at the belt from the inside where the split is harder to detect.

If not loaded to the max, most cases can be reloaded many times and the signs of over-use are usually plainly visible. Just because military cases have been de-crimped doesn't mean they are used up, just that they have been reloaded at least once.  If the primer-pockets are not enlarged and there are no cracks, spits, etc., they are probably o.k.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But, as said above, most dents usually aren't a big deal. Cracks, splits, punctures, loose primer pockets - big deal. Personally, I wouldn't pick up someone else's belted magnum brass because, when used-up, they tend to separate at the belt from the inside where the split is harder to detect.

If not loaded to the max, most cases can be reloaded many times and the signs of over-use are usually plainly visible. Just because military cases have been de-crimped doesn't mean they are used up, just that they have been reloaded at least once.  If the primer-pockets are not enlarged and there are no cracks, spits, etc., they are probably o.k.

I do not have problems with range brass .  I load it for plinking ammo .

God bless
wyr
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

God bless
wyr

You will when one fails at the wrong moment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Should be just fine to reload .
I reload it all the time and have never had any problems.     That is normally caused by the brass hitting the slide on the way out when shooting a Mini 14

My brother shoots a Mini 14 and all his brass looks like that when he shoots.    May be some one else has a better answer for the cause..    But as far as reloading it , it reloads and shoots just fine..

I notice dimples like that on my Mini 14 brass.  They iron out just fine after firing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God bless
wyr

Only piece of brass that I ever had fail was a case head seperation (which I checked for and it didn't show any signs) that was once fired (by me) and was korean surplus brass.  I'm still reloading cases from that same lot number (i bought 2000 of them when they first came out years ago).  I have never had problems with range brass either but I inspect my cases well and throw out anything that is suspect.

If you check them over good and toss the ones that have been beat up, you should be just fine.  I wouldn't use them for SD unless that was all I had at the time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#14]
My Mini 14 also does this.
I wouldn't use any with a huge dent for the sake of consistency, but a dent that size probably won't give a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]
For ME...........

Because of the dents, those cases would be used for "Plinking Ammo."

Also...........cases that have hydraulic dents in the shoulder gets regulated to "Plinking Ammo."

That's ME.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He said for plinking... not for home defense or something.  Those little dents aren't going to cause a case failure.

I agree though.. when I find rifle brass at my shooting spot that has been reloaded...  I just dump it into the recycle bucket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#17]
@dryflash3

You are a really helpful guy with those pix?

Eagle Scout?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#19]
@dryflash3

I could tell.  I'm an Asst Scoutmaster.

Helpful - thanks I learned something too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Cases/P3070416.jpg

Dented cases before loading. #3 looks familiar.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Cases/P7040481.jpg

Same cases after firing. Just a slight shadow remains were the dent was.

The fact that you have pictures to answer almost every concievable reloading question is awesome. One of the reasons I hang out on
arfcom is guys like you, oldpainless, molon, etc. Vast wealth of knowledge, and you guys freely share.

Thanks.

-ZA
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info.

By the way, ..................deleted...coc violation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top