Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/10/2007 9:57:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2007 9:59:42 AM EDT by TRWalsh]
I recently purchased a regular semi AR15 lower from a small mom & pop manufacturer, and took possession properly (4473 through my local FFL).

During my initial discussions with the manufacturer, I asked him about doing a custom serial number for me, but he didn't want to do that, citing administrative paperwork hassles, which I can understand and respect.

My question is:
When I register the lower as a SBR, I am creating a brand new firearm, correct? Can I give the receiver a different serial number at that point?

On the form 1, can I list the serial number I want to have? And then upon approval, have the old serial # filled in and then re-engraved with the new approved serial number?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:05:48 AM EDT
NO!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:07:20 AM EDT
You must use the original serial number it can not be moved or defaced. You can change all oter markings. so if you just want your birthday or kids name on there then use the model number or add any other markings you want.

I believe Superior Arms in Iowa will do custom markings on a new manuf. receiver.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:47:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
You must use the original serial number it can not be moved or defaced. You can change all oter markings. so if you just want your birthday or kids name on there then use the model number or add any other markings you want.

I believe Superior Arms in Iowa will do custom markings on a new manuf. receiver.

Correct on both counts, David.

I've seen Superior Arms do some very creative serial numbers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:33:11 AM EDT
Not to stir the pot any, but are you sure? and does the law support this?

ATF says that you need to use the serial number on the host Title 1 firearm, but I don't believe the text of the law says this. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I have seen NFA guns before that had a separate S/N engraved when registered. The one I'm thinking of specifically was a converted Colt SP1. It had the Colt S/N on the left side, and the NFA S/N on the right side. The paperwork reflected only the "new" S/N.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:13:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 9:44:20 AM EDT by TaylorWSO]

Originally Posted By GarrettJ:
Not to stir the pot any, but are you sure? and does the law support this?

ATF says that you need to use the serial number on the host Title 1 firearm, but I don't believe the text of the law says this. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

I have seen NFA guns before that had a separate S/N engraved when registered. The one I'm thinking of specifically was a converted Colt SP1. It had the Colt S/N on the left side, and the NFA S/N on the right side. The paperwork reflected only the "new" S/N.

He is correct,

I think its pretty clear.

SEC.
5861. Prohibited acts.
§ 5861. Prohibited acts
It shall be unlawful for any person -
...snip
(g) to obliterate, remove, change, or alter the serial number or other
identification of a firearm required by this chapter; or
(h) to receive or possess a firearm having the serial number or other
identification required by this chapter obliterated, removed, changed, or altered; or
Top Top