Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 10:44:42 PM EDT
I need help identifying these two kits....One of the boxes says "R1A1" on it, but I thought that was a Century bastard gun. Anyone know what they are or their approximate value? Thanks!!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that the R1A1 was the South African designation for inch Fal or L1A1. No idea on the value.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the SA designation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I believe that the R1A1 was the South African designation for inch Fal or L1A1. No idea on the value.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the SA designation.

Yea I have the invoice for the R1A1 and it does say south african on it...They both look the same to me with the exception of the R1A1 lower has a verticle take down switch and the other kit has a horizontal switch. That and the furniture is slightly different...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
R1A1 is a marketing designation made up by Century Arms.

Those two kits are indeed South African R1s. They could be Belgian, Brazilian, or South African in origin.

Whomever put R1A1 on that label made a mistake.

The value for each is about $200 to $250 depending mostly on the bore condition.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the paint on the stock.

Isn't that usually a Rhodesian thing? Or is it South African too?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I love the paint on the stock.

Isn't that usually a Rhodesian thing? Or is it South African too?

Yes that paint is a Rhodesian thing. However, Rhodesia did not produce FNs. The Rhodesian FNs were supplied by South Africa ( mostly). The South Africans sanitized the FNs that were sent to Rhodesia. I do not know how the Rhodesian R1 FNs were returned to SA.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I was told from someone on FALFILES that the wood one might possibly be originally from Belgium?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Those are both metric.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was told from someone on FALFILES that the wood one might possibly be originally from Belgium?

With military surplus rifles, there can be any combination of parts.  Military armorers swap/replace parts without regard to manufacturer.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My bad, I knew that R1A1 was the Century designation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Those are South African parts kits imported by Century. Century put that piece of paper on the box.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Long hump on rear of buttstock indicates South African
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top