Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2003 12:12:16 AM EDT
I just got a "Plain Jane" target model so you all know what that means: 3-times the rifle's cost in add-ons. This is what I had in mind:

Weapon's Purpose: Plinking, Rat annihilation (nutria)

Optics: Swift 656 3-9 x 40 Scope (purchased)

Stock: Hogue over-molded for bull-barrel

Add-ons: Weaver sight base, Volquartsen 1-stage bolt release, & an extended magazine release.

Now for my questions...

I want a bull barrel and am limited by 2 factors; cost, and the stock blued finish. without much effort I was able to find the following barrels: Clerke 16” or 20” $64.95; Boyd’s 18” $74.95; Green Mountain 18” or 20” $89.99. Are any of these halfway decent? I want an upgrade from the stock barrel, but I'm not willing to go over $100. I know I could neuter a gnat with some of those $285 match barrels, but I'd just as soon spend the $ on ARs. that being said what barrel in this price range (blued finish) would you suggest and where can I get it? Also what barrel length would you suggest and what are its advantages/shortcommings?

Finally, is anybody aware of the kits that lock the bolt back on the last round? If so, who makes them & where can they be found? I also heard they require a different magazine than the stock BX-1 (naturally). I was wondering then if this was a "conventional" magazine design and if so, does it work for pre-bans or just that company's magazines exclusively.

I would be pretty damn impressed if someone had all the answers to what I asked, but I certainly don't expect it. If you have a suggestion or an answer for one or two of these I would love to hear about it. Also if you have any other useful add-ons in mind that are inexpensive let us know about them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:21:19 AM EDT
I can personally recommend Green Mountain barrels. I have their 20" stainless fluted barrel and love it. Got it from Whiteface Mtn. Barrel supply and couldn't be happier about the sale www.riflebarrelsupply.com.

In a .22LR, anything longer than 16" actually reduces velocity a little bit (exact length depends on ammo used). However, longer barrel length will still increase accuracy and more weight reduces recoil. With my setup, I can hit targets at 50 yards and actually see the hole appear in the paper with a 9x scope - there is virtually no recoil. An 18" barrel would probably be just as good though.

I can't help you with the bolt hold-back kit. Never heard of it. I would be afraid to reduce reliability since most 10/22's are pretty picky about the mags you use. After trying them all (except Mitchell) I finally turned back to the factory mags for 100% reliability.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:05:37 AM EDT
I agree, the factory ones have never let me down (only one time when i took it apart - word of warning DO NOT take your factory mags apart, lol)

My 10/22 is as follows:

Vorquartsen trigger guard 2000 (the whole trigger assembly)
Hogue overmolded stock
Adams and BEnnet flutted 18" bull barrel.
SImmons 3 X 12 cheap scope.

soon to add Harris Bipod
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:22:59 AM EDT
The Green Mountain barrels are very highly thought of by the www.rimfirecentral.com board. I have the 16" Clerke. The 16" length is MUCH nicer if you happen to walk around carrying it and shoot offhand; I don't think it gives up much, if anything, shooting from a bench either.
Looks like there is no bad choice in your picks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:37:50 AM EDT
one more vote for the green mountain barrel. best value out there IMO.

there is one maker of the BHO type magazine but its expensive, i think FAC sells it the cheapest, like $65 bucks or something.www.gunsnstuff.net/p/016f.html

my suggestions for mods:
VQ target hammer and sear

auto bolt release, you can do it yourself or get it from several different makers for cheap

reduced power springs-helps lighten up the trigger pull, again several different makers i got mine off of ebay for $7

VQ bolt buffer

extended mag release- check out the one at the bottom of this page: http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2Aprodpage/11022prod.html

that should keep you busy for a while. there are still a butt-load of mods to do after that too, but those should really help to make it a good shooter.

oh one more:
VQ exact edge extractor- eliminates those "stovepipes"

you'll love your new mini rifle. mine never gets left at home when i go to the range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:15:12 PM EDT
Now that I am actually awake, I'd like to add a few comments...

If after 500 rounds you have any extraction problems, I second the suggestion of a Volq. extractor. Solved a very annoying FTE problem for me.

I have both the Volq. TG2000 and a stock action with just the Volq. hammer kit. If I had it to do over again I probably would have just gotten the hammer kit for both actions. It's the cheapest way to improve your trigger and more can be done later if desired.

Get a bolt buffer. I haven't seen how any one is much better than the other, but it will reduce wear to your reciever and eliminate the annoying "clacking" sound when you fire.

I've heard some complaints about accuracy on the Hogue stock, but cannot confirm and they seem to be very popular so it may be untrue.

Oh... mine is a 10/22 stainless
Volq. TG2000
Volq exact edge extractor
On Target bolt buffer
Volq. bedding kit
Leupold mounts and rings
Simmons .22 mag 3x9 scope
Green Mountain 20" fluted barrel
The stock is actually the standard birch stock that I modified myself. It took a while...

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:44:42 PM EDT
i like that stock, ya did a realy good job, looks professional.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:45:35 PM EDT
Thanks!

I had a request or two to make more, but with all the time I put in I would have to charge too much
Top Top