Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 9:23:34 PM EDT
I'm hoping someone who owns one of the new Benelli M1014/M4's can help me out.  In the owner's manual, there is typically a parts list with part numbers.  Can you please look in your manuals and see if there is a part number listed for the picatinny rail?

My Benelli M1 has been drilled and tapped for the 93 Weaver base, so that I can mount my Aimpoint Comp ML2 with an ARMS #22M68 mount.  I had to cut a cross slot in this base for the mount to work.  But I've found that the mount doesn't lock up nearly as tightly on the weaver rails as it does on true spec picatinny rails.  This doesn't have to do with the slot, but rather the rail portion on the base.  I'm now wanting to replace the 93 Weaver with a true mil spec rail.  But, I've yet to find a rail with the proper radius on the bottom to match up with the Benelli receiver.  That is where the factory piece comes into play.

So, can one you please help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
#260J- Accessory mounting rail on pg 58(illustration) and pg 59(description), drawing #3.

Also listed are part #s 261J and 262J which are the Rail screw and Rail washer respectively.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
#260J- Accessory mounting rail on pg 58(illustration) and pg 59(description), drawing #3.

Also listed are part #s 261J and 262J which are the Rail screw and Rail washer respectively.

Excellent!  Thank you.  One more question, how many mounting screw holes are there in the rail?  It is very likely I'll have to drill new holes in the rail to match up with the 93 Weaver holes I already have......
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Five mounting screws.

I have a question though. Aren't you worried about the extra weight making your M1 unreliable. Isn't that why Benelli went to the gas operated M4 because of the xtra weight of the accessories?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, that is a big concern for me, especially since I've got a 7 shell carrier on the left of the receiver, and a 2 shell carrier on the right.  It has been reliable so far with heavy loads without the Aimpoint on it.  So, it may work just fine with the Aimpoint and fewer shells in the shell carriers.  I don't know yet, and there is only one way to find out.

If this setup proves to be unreliable, I'll likely sell the M1 and either get the M4 (when it comes out with a full magazine tube), a Winchester Super X2 (or similarly FN or Browning.)  I'm not crazy about Remington gas guns, so those are out.

My Benelli is a pre ban, with screw in choke tubes, pistol grip, 7+1+1 capacity and ghost ring sights.  If need be, I can probably sell it for enough to buy a replacement (albeit post ban) shotgun outright.  Which is too bad, as I really like the pistol grip.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't that why Benelli went to the gas operated M4 because of the extra weight of the accessories?

Exactly.

To quote Benelli's Customer Service Manager, Craig Johnson when asked why the M1014 did not utilize Benelli's original inertia system:

"The military wanted to be able to attach night vision and other equipment to the shotguns. Benelli's inertia system requires the gun to be kept within a particular weight range--those attachments add weight that could throw off the balance of the gun and, consequently, the function of the inertia system. The answer was to go to a gas-operated action."

Scollins, I don't believe that Benelli has any plans to offer the full-length mag tube version of the M4 Super 90 shotgun to civilians even with the non-pistol gripped field stock required by the AW Ban. I have the two-shot mag extension for my M1014. I have it put back for safekeeping in case the ban sunsets and is not replaced, or I decide to purchase the field stock when available.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Scollins, I don't believe that Benelli has any plans to offer the full-length mag tube version of the M4 Super 90 shotgun to civilians even with the non-pistol gripped field stock required by the AW Ban. I have the two-shot mag extension for my M1014. I have it put back for safekeeping in case the ban sunsets and is not replaced, or I decide to purchase the field stock when available.

That's too bad, I guess they lose my business then.  They should realize that their shotguns WERE the best bet in Practical shooting, and they could get it back by offering an 8+1 M4 shotgun.  Hell, they make a special M1 called the Practical.  If they don't offer one, I'll be getting a Winchester Super X2 (or variant) then.  Their loss, not really mine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Scollins, hey, don't give up hope yet. I just based my opinions on discussions held in this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=168817
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like it should be possible to purchase a full-length feed tube & replace the stock unit. My dealer told me he could make it happen.

Edit/update: I rechecked w/ my dealer today & he said that a full-length feed tube was doable, & indicated that the full tube will be avaialbe on field stock equipped models. I commented that my catalog doesn't indicate this, but he said it will happen. He also said that a full length tube could be installed if not std. equip. Just buy the field stock version.

BTW - He also said that WSI is going out of biz. Apparently, they lost their lease.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I've replaced the pistol gripped faux collapsing stock with a traditional field stock. I'm now waiting for Cal's Sporting Armory to get +2 extensions back in stock.
I prefer the standard field stock to a pistol gripped stock, just me I guess. The +2 extension is a bonus. Now if the AWB goes away and I can get a true collapsing stock, then I'll rethink my plan.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BTW - He also said that WSI is going out of biz. Apparently, they lost their lease.

From what the guys at WSI have told me, they are not going out of business, but are moving.  They have lost their lease though.  They indicated that they are moving to Renton, and will be opening a gun shop AND range.  They weren't sure how long it would be though.  Believe it when I see it, but holding good thoughts.......

Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top