Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2009 10:34:15 AM EDT
I know this is

Spoke to the NFA office today, 2-3 weeks backlogged. And yes engraving is mandatory on reciever
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Spoke to the NFA office today, 2-3 weeks backlogged. And yes engraving is mandatory on reciever

Engraving is manditory. It must be visible without disassembly.  But it need not be on the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engraving is manditory. It must be visible without disassembly.  But it need not be on the receiver.

Hold on. Here we go again.

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

uh,,, what?!

you do realize that the receiver is the firearm, right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm confused. Are we talking about SBRs? I'm NOT offering ANY legal advice, but as I read the law engraving is not mandatory. Unless you are making something from scratch, as in a can, the original rec. markings are will suffice.

I have two SBRs on form 1s w/no additional engraving. The ATF was happy enough to approve them (on two different occassions) so why should I be concerned.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

uh,,, what?!

When you build a SBR or SBS, it needs to have a barrel to be short - right ? Why not engrave the barrel, or a short upper, etc.

This is A-ok, and it's often beaten to death.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm confused. Are we talking about SBRs? I'm NOT offering ANY legal advice, but as I read the law engraving is not mandatory. Unless you are making something from scratch, as in a can, the original rec. markings are will suffice.

I have two SBRs on form 1s w/no additional engraving. The ATF was happy enough to approve them (on two different occassions) so why should I be concerned.

You need to engrave anything you do on a form 1.  Not reqd for a form 4.   Form 1 means you are making something new (SBR, for example).   There was an original manufacturer of a rifle, but you are 'manufacturing' the SBR, so you need your info on it as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

uh,,, what?!

When you build a SBR or SBS, it needs to have a barrel to be short - right ? Why not engrave the barrel, or a short upper, etc.

Right.  I don't recommend it, but it's kosher.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

uh,,, what?!

You listed the serial number of the lower on the form one.        Colt # xxxxxxxxx

Go ahead and engrave the barrel.

Put that short barrel on Bushmaster Lower # XXXXXXXXX

If the BATFE wanted too, you may be on your way to Butt busting prison.

I can see a BATFE agent asking to see your Form 1 that is for a Colt # XXXXXXXXX

He says this lower is a Bushmaster. Come along with me son.                            

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You can engrave the upper or even the barrel when last I checked. Problem with this method is that every upper you put on the (registered SBR lower) would need to be engraved regardless of the uppers barrel length. It just makes sense to engrave the lower once and your done..
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

uh,,, what?!

You listed the serial number of the lower on the form one.        Colt # xxxxxxxxx

Go ahead and engrave the barrel.

Put that short barrel on Bushmaster Lower # XXXXXXXXX

If the BATFE wanted too, you may be on your way to Butt busting prison.

I can see a BATFE agent asking to see your Form 1 that is for a Colt # XXXXXXXXX

He says this lower is a Bushmaster. Come along with me son.                            

He's not talking about using the short upper on a different lower.  That would be illegal.  The upper needs to stay on the registered lower.  That's why I don't recommend engraving the upper.

But it's legal.

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was caught up on this when I first got into NFA also, spurred by disinformation provided by some illustrious ATF agents. Anyway, in their eyes. Modifying something into an NFA and manufacturing an NFA are synonymous. As said before engraving is mandatory.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was caught up on this when I first got into NFA also, spurred by disinformation provided by some illustrious ATF agents. Anyway, in their eyes. Modifying something into an NFA and manufacturing an NFA are synonymous. As said before engraving is mandatory.

Just like GD.

Take the simplest instructions and then go 10 different ways with it.

Do the Barrel, it's not mandatory, I did 2 with out engraving, no one arrested me yet.

Just engrave the registered lower, once, use any upper you want on it.

Simple, one time engraving, supported by the regulations.

Just Engrave the Lower.            

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I was laughing at myself and my own ignorance of the law. Its funny how each of us has some exposure to the NFA laws through some phone conversations or business dealings and we all have formed different interpretations of the law. Usually based on information that was received by credible sources? I like the posters comment of "here we go again" Im not trying to go anywhere with the post but you must admit we thrive off the tidbits of NFA information gathered. I continue to laugh at myself. Just pissed its going to be so long before I can order my upper
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like GD.

Take the simplest instructions and then go 10 different ways with it.

Do the Barrel, it's not mandatory, I did 2 with out engraving, no one arrested me yet.

Just engrave the registered lower, once, use any upper you want on it.

Simple, one time engraving, supported by the regulations.

Just Engrave the Lower.            

I can see the reasons one might engrave another part of the firearm, but not on the ar-15 platform.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]

So, .003" deep and 1/16" tall, as minimums, right?
There is a minimum height (1/16") for the serial number, but there is no minimum height for the maker's name, city or state.

27 CFR 479.102
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, I'm glad I bought a case of microwave popcorn for all these engraving threads.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top