Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 11:30:29 PM EDT
Does anyone know who makes the Cabela's Alaskan Guide riflescopes?  Thinking about getting one for my .308 rifle.   What are your opinions of the Alaskan Guide scopes?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT waste your money on one.

A buddy of mine got a brand new LTR last year, and wanted a good scope for hunting deer.  Well, the ranging circles on the Alaskan Guide scope sold him, so he bought it.

First of all, the glass completely sucks.  I'm serious, it is some of the worst glass I have seen.  I have an old Simmons $99 scope sitting in the closet that has way better clarity than this $300+ Cabela's scope.

Second, the cross hairs are extremely thick.  My buddy had a hard time shooting for precision on paper at 300 yards because the cross hairs were covering way to large an area.  For 100 and 200 yards, it works fair.

Lastly, my buddy made it to the range with this scope maybe 4 trips.  And he humped it around during deer season, but made no shots with it.  Upon our last outing to the range with this scope, all of a sudden it just went belly up.  Shots ended up going all over the place at 100 yards.  Was even missing the paper completely at times.  It seems as if the crosshairs started moving under the recoil of his .308 Remmington LTR.

After returning from the range we took the scope off and called cabela's.  They ended up giving him a FULL refund.  They even reimbursed him for the Leupold rings and bases.  So I gotta hand it to Cabela's customer service, they are great.  But they need to be a little more picky of what they put their name on IMO.

My buddy has learned from his mistake, and is waiting on a Leupold from Premier Reticles.  I would highly suggest in looking for a better scope than the Alaskan Guide scopes.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Any input on the Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 scope?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I put a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 on one of my rifles a few months ago and I'm very pleased with it.  I also have a Nikon Monarch and a Leupold VXIII, the GS beats the Nikon and approaches the VXIII in my opinion.  I don't think you can find a better scope than the Grand Slams in their price range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top