Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2002 4:33:52 PM EDT
I'm researching ,just what is an C&R License? It stands for curios and relics ;but does that mean black powder and WW 1 equip. Is there more recent guns on a list;or is there a list at all?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm researching ,just what is an C&R License? It stands for curios and relics ;but does that mean black powder and WW 1 equip. Is there more recent guns on a list;or is there a list at all?

Black powder weapons generally do NOT require any kind of licensing, as they do not fit the definition of "firearm" under the law.

C&R licenses generally cover any weapon that is over 50 years old, OR that has a SPECIFIC collector value and is on the "C&R list."

The list as it were can be found on the BATF's website.

Generally speaking, the C&R is a good investment.  $30 for 3 years, and you'll save more than that in transfer fees on your first purchase.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You can find the list at this link: www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

It is mostly older firearms, however newer firearms like the Yugoslavian SKS's you see all over the net and Shotgun News are on the list. There are also NFA weapons on the list. You still have to pay the tax and get a CLEO approval, but the NFA can be sent directly to you.

I'm getting a C&R license right now too. You can find tons of useful info at www.cruffler.com
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Zak and SMProud . That's exactly what I needed to know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I just sent for mine last week. I think I might make as SKS the first test purchase.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been eyeing those Yugo SKS's too, however I've always wanted a WWII P-38.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm curious about how they define age, since any WWII Garand is (theoretically) a C&R gun, but I've always had to go through a bkgnd check to buy them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Right now the date would be 1952, but I don't think a gun can get on the list until the BATF approves it. If you buy a C&R without a license you still have to do a background check.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm curious about how they define age, since any WWII Garand is (theoretically) a C&R gun, but I've always had to go through a bkgnd check to buy them.

Actually, any USGI Garand is C&R.
" U.S., Rifle, cal. .30 M1, original military issue only, produced prior to 1956."

Thats why I have the C&R book in my truck when I'm out shopping.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]
bbauman,

Actually,, not all Garands are C&R.  International Harvister and Harrington & Richardson made some in 1956 and Springfield Armory was still producing some in 1957.  Any M1's made in 1956 or 1957 are not C&R.  I don't know why the list says manufactured prior to 1956.  I think it was an oversite on the part of BATF.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
bbauman,

Actually,, not all Garands are C&R.  International Harvister and Harrington & Richardson made some in 1956 and Springfield Armory was still producing some in 1957.  Any M1's made in 1956 or 1957 are not C&R.  I don't know why the list says manufactured prior to 1956.  I think it was an oversite on the part of BATF.

I stand corrected AND I learned something new. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top