Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/31/2006 6:49:03 AM EDT
In Cheaper Than Dirt’s ad text they claim that the 6 AR mag Molle Pouch (Item # MOLLE-314) will hold 4 AK-47 mags. I know that 2 AK mags will fit in the space cut for 3 AR mags, but does anyone know if there is enough lid to give a good closure, say at least 1”, or does it just barely/not close at all?

Yeah, I know, I know, don’t buy shit gear…but the pouches actually appear to have the exact features I want and are ¼ the price of anything even close to what I am looking for, so I at least want to give them a try. Besides, it will be for a backup rig and I might pirate and mod the design a bit (I don’t feel bad about tearing apart a $12 mag pouch for a pattern that I can improve a bit)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:06:39 AM EDT
I realize CTD sells a lot of crap, but I would not classify that molle mag pouch as such. It's actually rather well made (I have two of them).

I haven't tried AK mags, but I do know that 30rd AR mags sit so low in the pouches that only a tiny bit protrudes from the top. If I was using these things on a vest or belt, I'd have to put mag pulls on my AR mags just to be able to get them quickly. The cover flap is pretty long, so I'd be surprised if it wouldn't close. Whether or not it will snap in place is a good question, which would depend on whether or not the AK mags hold the flap so the second snap will just reach. The velcro should hold, though, even if it does not.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:12:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rhino_:
I realize CTD sells a lot of crap, but I would not classify that molle mag pouch as such. It's actually rather well made (I have two of them).

I haven't tried AK mags, but I do know that 30rd AR mags sit so low in the pouches that only a tiny bit protrudes from the top. If I was using these things on a vest or belt, I'd have to put mag pulls on my AR mags just to be able to get them quickly. The cover flap is pretty long, so I'd be surprised if it wouldn't close. Whether or not it will snap in place is a good question, which would depend on whether or not the AK mags hold the flap so the second snap will just reach. The velcro should hold, though, even if it does not.

I take it you don't have any AK mags or an AK? We'll have to turn you to the Darkside yet!

Well, I think the local surlus shop has one of the CTD vests with Molle pouches on it. i;'ll just have to bring two mags with me tomorrow and ask nicely if I can try it. I don't care about the snap, just if there is enough velcro. With the pouch depth and elastic it is quote possible it won't really matter...

Yeah, actually I was fairly suprised by their Molle gear when I saw it up close...not too bad, especially for the price.

[ETA] If anyone else has experience with these please let me know.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:52:16 AM EDT
can't speak for the rifle mag pouches, but I DO have a double pistol mag pouch from CTD.
It actually is pretty substantially constructed, but the molle straps on the back are a tad short when weaving it through a vest or belt. it sort of crowds the horizontal webbing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:21:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
I take it you don't have any AK mags or an AK? We'll have to turn you to the Darkside yet!

Never!!

Well, unless the gun, mags, and ammo are all free.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:34:22 AM EDT
I've only found one really good pouch for AK mages. I know everyone hates them, but Blackhawk makes one that will fit 3 AR mags or 2 AK mages in each pouch, it has 3 pouches.

I can easily fit two mags clamped with jungle clamps in a staggered fashion. The flaps on the top are designed very oddly and aren't just like a simple flap they are curved and fit over the mags. Its a little harder to get them out than a straight flap but it fits alot better. I don't remember the model number but its the only one they make that holds 9 AR mags. I'm not sure if you could even use AR mags in it though because unclamped AK mags barely reach the top. You have to remove the stitching on it though, its seperated in two parts in each pouch, 2 mags and 1 mag, i dunno why.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2006 12:37:02 PM EDT by Dawg180]
I know the Blackhawk pouches you are tlaking about, and yes, I hate them too...

I got a chance to check out one of the CTD pouches up close today. The downside is there is only about 1/4" of velcro purchase with 2x AK mags in it. On the upside, there is another good 3/4" or more of flap without velcro, which means I could easily just sew a little extra velcro and a pull tab on the pouch.

I must say, I was rather impressed by the pouch construction, especially considering the price. The pouch even has a divider (with padding in it!) to keep mags from rattiling, and which allows a single or double mag storage without loosness/flopping. It also is deep enough (and snug enough)that even if the flap wouldn't stay shut I am pretty confident the mags wouldn't spill out.

There isn't quite enough reach for the upper snap to work, but maybe if I flipped the magazines upside-down it would have enough reach...I suspect they sit a touch higher with the fat baseplate at teh bottom of the pouch...silly AK mag design!

Score one for CTD. Now if they would just get some more of the Molle first aid opuches in I would be bale to place my order!

Dawg
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:37:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rhino_:

Never!!

Well, unless the gun, mags, and ammo are all free.

Sure...you just gotta kill a commie first, and then take his gear!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:44:03 PM EDT

There isn't quite enough reach for the upper snap to work, but maybe if I flipped the magazines upside-down it would have enough reach...I suspect they sit a touch higher with the fat baseplate at teh bottom of the pouch...silly AK mag design!

Which way do you want them to go? Open end down/inside with base plats on top, or with the bullets showing?

I don't know how AK mags are supposed to be carried. I always carry my fully loaded AR mags with the rounds/open end downward. with bullets pointing either forward toward my strong side (like pistol mags). If I have to put a partially expended mag in a pouch, I flip it over (rounds upward) so I don't mistake it for one that has 28 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:45:17 PM EDT

Sure...you just gotta kill a commie first, and then take his gear!

Hey, those are gettin' harder to find every day!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:06:49 PM EDT
How's the quality of the the rest of the CTD Molle gear, like the vest? I have heard good things about their Molle pack.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 9:47:05 PM EDT by Dawg180]
Top Top