Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:58:43 PM EDT
I want to buy the CRKT M21, Any opinions? I'd like to buy the big one, partial serrated, was thinking the one with the dual flippers and "autolawks" Any opinions?

This is gonna be a survival type knive to go in my BUG vest.... Along with 6 DSG 30 round mags, a few Glock 23 mags, a SureFire 6P and a few other goods.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:57:37 AM EDT
I have one that has been used as an EDC for the past year. I have no complaints about it at all. Very good blad for he money, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:30:02 AM EDT
is yours a standard M21, or the one with dual flippers on it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:08:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 8:14:21 AM EDT by lefthandblack]
The M21 is a decent folder for the money, but for a little more there are better choices. What is your budget?

If it is going to be a blade for survival situations, I would recommend a small fixed blade over any folder. Check out the Fallkniven F1,

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=790

or the Swamp Rat Howling Rat, about midway down the page,

www.swampratknifeworks.com/knives.html

These are both pretty much indestructable small fixed blades.

If you are dead set on a folding blade, I would check out a few others. Like the Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000, an extremely tough liner lock with an amazing level of fit and finish, and VG-10 steel is much better than AUS8

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1429

or check out the Benchmade 710,

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=202

or for something a little less expensive, the Griptilian,

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1546

They use the axis lock, which is a very durable and smooth locking system.

Also, the new upgraded Spyderco Endura 4 is an absolutely awesome blade for the price,

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7064

If there is a Super Walmart near you, look for the Spyderco Native there. They just started selling them there and they are priced at $39, which is about $30 bucks less than everywhere else. They have a CPM-S30V steel blade, which for that price is unbelievable.

Just not a huge fan of the Columbia River liner locks. Three out of four that I have handled have failed spinewack tests without the LAWKS engaged. They are also starting to go with cheaper steels on some of their blades like AUS4 and 440A. Don't get me wrong, for the money, they are'nt too bad, but there is much better out there for a little more. Good luck.

ETA: Here is a thread with a few pics of my Al Mar and my Benchmade 710HS,

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=4&t=194115

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:53:51 AM EDT
I like that Spyderco Endura,

The reason I like the M21, is the blade just looks like a friggin pit bull man...

I kind of set my budget at $65, I know it won't be the best knife in the world, but this is something that's gonna see some use and won't get the best care in the world. Are the more Expensive CRKTs any better? I seen some M21s on Ebay for like $100, they looked really cool!

Pretty much, this is a knife thats gonna set in my tactical vest, next to my Surefire light, ready for action. I'd really like a 4 inch or close to it folder. I am going to buy the OKC Marine Bayonet, but that's beside the point. I really like the Al Mar's knives and I will probably have one someday for EDC w/ my Glock 23, but this is not that occasion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:56:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 8:57:42 AM EDT by WantsAnRRA]
this is the one I'm looking at buying

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6730
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:02:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
I like that Spyderco Endura,

The reason I like the M21, is the blade just looks like a friggin pit bull man...

I kind of set my budget at $65, I know it won't be the best knife in the world, but this is something that's gonna see some use and won't get the best care in the world. Are the more Expensive CRKTs any better? I seen some M21s on Ebay for like $100, they looked really cool!

Pretty much, this is a knife thats gonna set in my tactical vest, next to my Surefire light, ready for action. I'd really like a 4 inch or close to it folder. I am going to buy the OKC Marine Bayonet, but that's beside the point. I really like the Al Mar's knives and I will probably have one someday for EDC w/ my Glock 23, but this is not that occasion.

Definitely get the Spyderco over the CRKT, although it may not look as "tacticool", it has a much better steel and I believe the lock to be more reliable. Knives are a cutting tool, looks are secondary. The new Enduras have been upgraded significantly by using all screw construction and actually having steel liners inside the FRN handles.

Here is a review by Cliff Stamp of the Spyderco Endura, this will give you a better feel of how tough this knife is, it is truly a survival folder on a budget.

www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/endura_pe.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:06:13 AM EDT
I've got an M21-12 in my pocket right now... Decent blade IMHO. I like it enough but it doesn't hold an edge like my Spydercos do.

Take that for what it's worth. Prices are about the same, right? If you're spending CRKT money... Get one and test it out I guess. I have three CRKTs but would rather steer you toward a Spyderco.

Eventually I'll get that beautiful Benchmade AFCK I've drooled over for so many years but haven't been able to find the money for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:24:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
I've got an M21-12 in my pocket right now... Decent blade IMHO. I like it enough but it doesn't hold an edge like my Spydercos do.

Take that for what it's worth. Prices are about the same, right? If you're spending CRKT money... Get one and test it out I guess. I have three CRKTs but would rather steer you toward a Spyderco.

Eventually I'll get that beautiful Benchmade AFCK I've drooled over for so many years but haven't been able to find the money for.

Hmmm, did'nt Benchmade discontinue the AFCK? It says on their site at this link, that it is no longer produced as of 11/05. That sucks, but you still might be able to find one.

www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=806

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:33:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
this is the one I'm looking at buying

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6730

You should go over to www.bladeforums.com and read up on blades. There is a ton of reviews and info over there. Here are a couple of links to reviews of the M21 and comparisons with other blades. You might have to register to view the threads, but its worth it.

www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384695&highlight=CRKT+M21
www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376578&highlight=CRKT+M21
www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383085&highlight=CRKT+M21

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:40:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lefthandblack:

Hmmm, did'nt Benchmade discontinue the AFCK? It says on their site at this link, that it is no longer produced as of 11/05. That sucks, but you still might be able to find one.

ack.

I was too late.

I was in love with that beautiful drop point blade form... Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:13:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lefthandblack:

ack.

I was too late.

I was in love with that beautiful drop point blade form... Oh well.

Found some here, but they are a little pricey and I don't know if they are in stock,

www.jtknives.com/benchmade806.htm

Also here, but I don't know about this shops rep, but it is much cheaper,

www.theknifestore.com/benchmade-ss4.php

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:44:32 PM EDT
Well, I think I'm gonna buy that CRKT. The truth is, I've always wanted one, and I just won't be happy till I have one.

I'll probably add a spyderco Native and an Al Mar a little later too...

My carry knife collection is pretty simple right now though,

CRKT M16 Zytel spear point
Gerber Air Ranger
BenchMade MonoChrome "Red"
I used to have a Gerber Michael Walker Folder, it was real nice, kinda like a huge Air Ranger with a different lock system and grips. I loved that knife, I lost it the night I totalled my truck out a few years ago and never could find a replacement... It was my favorite knife I've ever had...

those are really the only knives I have experience with. They are decent, I know they aren't the best but for the money I couldn't be happier with them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:35:14 PM EDT
I have an M21, carried it daily for about a year, mine iirc is the -12 size with the single flipper. It's a great knife, solid and I love the blade shape. I have since replaced it for carry use with a BM Griptillian, which I now have 3 and a trainer of. For the price the M21's are great tho, I think I paid like $40 shipped off Ebay for mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:01:58 PM EDT
Get the Endura 4 with the stainess handle and combo blade. THE best buy out there. Got mine off of eBay for 50 bucks. It is the equal to any Emerson, Benchmade or Microtech out there. I've owned them all and will buy another Endura over any of the others I've had.
If you get one and don't like it I'll buy it off of you. You can't do any better than that. Just don't abuse the thing before you sell it to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:28:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 80sgyrene:
Get the Endura 4 with the stainess handle and combo blade. THE best buy out there. Got mine off of eBay for 50 bucks. It is the equal to any Emerson, Benchmade or Microtech out there. I've owned them all and will buy another Endura over any of the others I've had.
If you get one and don't like it I'll buy it off of you. You can't do any better than that. Just don't abuse the thing before you sell it to me.

Take him up on this offer, you won't be sorry.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:04:16 AM EDT
LeftHand, he'll never sell it to me after he handles it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:48:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 80sgyrene:
LeftHand, he'll never sell it to me after he handles it.

I know, I just want him to end up with a good working blade

Hard to beat those Spydie's!
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top